1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacement drain cover

Discussion in 'Building' started by Rupert A, 22 Oct 2018.

1. Rupert A

Rupert A

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi I have this drain cover that is cracked and I need to replace. It's in the garage and probably has been there since the house was built in the 1960s. Size of it is 650mm x 500mm. So I thought I would just replace it, but I see no equivalent replacement in the shops, new ones are straight rectangle, do not have rounded corners and this one fits down into a lip if you see the photos.

So my question is, am I being blind, can you get like-for-like replacement? or do I need to have the housing chipped out the concrete and something new put in place? If you can please recommend.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sponsored Links
  3. RayCaister

RayCaister

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I had a similar problem. I just hammered a (smaller) metric frame inside the imperial frame . Job done.

4. Rupert A

Rupert A

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks. Just how much smaller did you go?

5. RayCaister

RayCaister

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I measured the internals of the imperial, went of to the builders merchants and bought a metric frame that was a tight interference fit all round. 4 pound club hammer and job done. Cement dust swept into the small exposed gap around the frame.

6. Rupert A

Rupert A

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks a lot. I'll try the same. Thanks.

7. Sponsored Links
  8. Ian H

Ian H

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  9. Rupert A

Rupert A

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks very much for this Ian. I am considering putting one of these in instead. Thanks.

10. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You'll need to replace cover and frame, unless you can source a secondhand cover that'll fit. (Unlikely I would think, unless someone local has replaced theirs.) Trying to fit anything else into the existing frame is unlikely to work, will result in odours escaping the sewer, and could be dangerous if it gives way and someone falls into the chamber.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rupert A

Rupert A

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, I am thinking I will need to replace the cover and frame. I don't think there is any chance I am going to source a second hand one that will fit. The current one is 50 years old. Thanks for your help.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local