Replacement hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this question has been posted before, I did try searching...

Need a replacement hot water cylinder. Replacing a 1970s copper one. I believe I need an indirect vented cylinder with no coil inside. Set up is similar to any indirect system but hot is heated from an old AGA, no pumps/CH/electric currently attached. My basic understanding is that I should be wary of (the current) standard cylinders with a coil as they suit pumped systems.

Anyone got some suggestions as to what I should buy or be searching for?

Looking for about 120 L, Water in/out is 18mm and AGA in/out is 28mm.

Looking for the simplest solution. If I haven't explained things well please ask for further info.

Thanks A.

Sponsored Links
OK, the current/old one doesn't have a coil but the plumbing set up is the same as an indirect system. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
There is no coil. I can stick my finger through the holes and feel the inside of the cylinder in all directions. Does this mean I have a Primatic system and if so how certain are you about that or should I await a second or third opinion. Not saying you are wrong (I don't know) just asking...

You'll need a cylinder with a gravity coil. Newark cylinders are good for bespoke.

This is based on the answer to Dan's question being two, one big one small.

3 water tanks in the loft, all connected and act as one. 'Overflow/vent' pipe from top of cylinder goes into top of one of the tanks in a classic 'indirect vented' way. Tanks/system supply hot and cold water throughout house, only other cold comes from kitchen tap that comes direct from mains.

I should add that the installer of the system wasn't known for his expertise rather how to do things on the cheap!

If there is no coil in it, how is the water getting heated ?

I habe a Rayburn doing mine, small tank to feed the heating circuit, through the coil in the tank.

primatic1.jpg

This is a primatic. Few and far between now.

Thankfully .

View attachment 118924

This is a primatic. Few and far between now.

Thankfully .

Would I be able to tell whether the system was primatic or not by feeling inside? From what I feel the inlet pipe goes in and that is that, shining a torch through the hole appears to confirm that. The AGA output is close to the top of the cylinder (but still on the side). Beginning to look like I do need a gravity coil which means bespoke :(

3 water tanks in the loft, all connected and act as one. 'Overflow/vent' pipe from top of cylinder goes into top of one of the tanks in a classic 'indirect vented' way. .
That's a classic Direct way because the tanks "act as one" Perhaps a picture of the connections to the hot water cylinder will give us a clue,

That's a classic Direct way because the tanks "act as one" Perhaps a picture of the connections to the hot water cylinder will give us a clue,

Just move the top outlet from the AGA/Boiler to the very top of the vertical side of the cylinder in the diagram above about Primatic systems and that is what I have - ignore internal cylinder stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back