Replacement light fitting advice sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

I'm currently in the process of swapping a standard ceiling rose to a nice metal fisherman style pendant and hope some of you more experienced diyers can help;

It is/was my intention to wire up the new lamp using wago connectors and house them between the lamp housing/ceiling, however the pendants have now arrived and I note a couple of things, 1. There won't be enough room to hold all my connector blocks in the lamp itself and 2. It's class 2 - so has no earth.

My query is - if I can manage to fit all wago connectors inside (which I doubt) - is this still sufficient in relation to wiring being double insulated, or will I need to fashion some sort of earthing for the cover?

And secondly - if they don't fit inside, the only alternative I can think of is to use a larger junction box for all the connections and push it up into my ceiling void (if I can create a hold large enough and keep the holes required for the lamp) - are there any alternative/easier ways to do this?

Attachments

• IMG_20190220_134404_resized_20190220_035344227.jpg
    IMG_20190220_134404_resized_20190220_035344227.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_20190220_134640_resized_20190220_035344938.jpg
    IMG_20190220_134640_resized_20190220_035344938.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20190220_134647_resized_20190220_035344617.jpg
    IMG_20190220_134647_resized_20190220_035344617.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 281
Sponsored Links
My query is - if I can manage to fit all wago connectors inside (which I doubt) - is this still sufficient in relation to wiring being double insulated,
No.

or will I need to fashion some sort of earthing for the cover?
I would say, yes.
Is it connected metalically to the actual light fitting? It looks like a metal rod.

I would just fit the bracket behind the rose and connect the new cable to the same terminals on the rose as the present light - plus earth to suitable ring lug to the centre nut.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I did try this but unfortunately the cable needs shortened and uses up space within the ceiling rose of the pendant meaning there isn't the room.

I also considered shortening the flex by cutting it down to exactly what I need but it doesnt appear to be one single piece of wire within the sheath - more lots of strands with a little metal cover - which then goes into the connector. Can I shorten this and buy the little metal cover to place on my new shortened flex?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I should have said - if there is room.

No, don't cut the flex.

Junction box in ceiling, then ?

Then no need to earth it.

That looks like a heavy pendant. Whilst EFLI's link to the Ashley box is suitable, of course, I personally would go for a...

https://www.downlights.co.uk/ct102c.html
ct102c_internal.1499284762.jpg

This way the flex from the pendant can be wired up nice and easy on a table/workbench, rather than up a ladder holding up the weight. You just connect them when you're ready to mount it.

Just noticed also, the screwdriver you'll need to get the old rose off the ceiling is called a Robertson or Scrulox screwdriver, or generically just 'square drive'. Probably a 'Number 2' size.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I did try this but unfortunately the cable needs shortened and uses up space within the ceiling rose of the pendant meaning there isn't the room.

I also considered shortening the flex by cutting it down to exactly what I need but it doesnt appear to be one single piece of wire within the sheath - more lots of strands with a little metal cover - which then goes into the connector. Can I shorten this and buy the little metal cover to place on my new shortened flex?

Thanks in advance!

I assume you mean stranded flex and a ferrule. You can fit a new ferrule but you need a special tool. You could just twist the strands and fit them under the screw as has been done for years, or perhaps you could twist and solder them together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back