Replacement light fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having removed a very old light fitting , to replace with new chrome 1 , I have now coming down from the void in ceiling 2 wires , which are identical colour ( grey) How do i go about wiring new fitting ?

Sponsored Links
When you say 2 grey wires, do you mean two single core wires or do you mean two grey cables with twin and earth inside the sheathing ?

2 single wires with , either grey or white sheathing , which having looked again i now think it is white sheathing just gone dirty so it looks grey.

Sponsored Links
If the new light fitting is chromed metal (as opposed to chromelike-plated plastic) you will need an earth as well as the live and neutral. If all that's coming down is the L and N it's likely the real light fitting has been shoved up into the ceiling void and may need to be recovered to find the earth. Unless you're in an old property using wiring in conduit, in which case there'll be a circular junction box in the ceiling which should provide the earthing.

PJ

I think you will find that bethjo and royboywales are associated, they coincidently joined the the forum one hour apart, and then started this nonsense thread.

I think you will find that bethjo and royboywales are associated, they coincidently joined the the forum one hour apart, and then started this nonsense thread.

I strongly deny that. I have never met the o.p :(

It is not a nonsense thread at all. I have been asked many times why the wiring can be so different in various homes and I answerd the o.p question in good faith. The fact that both of us joined up at the same time is pure coincedence.

I have posted help in other threads too! and I think that I am a valuable member to this forum as I have over 40yrs experience in the construction industry.

That is normal. One will be + and the other -
no it won't.

Unless he lives in a caravan or something that runs off a battery, his electrical supply will be A.C.

When it comes to a light bulb, it makes no diference which way the current flows. Fact

Well you haven't learnt much in your 40 years, doing the same thing for 40 years is not experience.

And you laughably think that AC is referred to by the symbols + and -, they are symbols for batteries, perhaps your experience is in changing torch batteries.

Also it can be very important that L&N are connected round the right way to feed a light bulb, as any electrician will confirm.

When it comes to a light bulb, it makes no diference which way the current flows. Fact
You haven't wired any ES bulbs then - or have you just been lucky?

He did not say it was a screw bulb, he did not say that he was going to switch the light switch on before inserting the bulb either.

I did suggest using a voltmeter which is what I would do. I would also wrap the live wire in red tape after identifying the live core too.

I have not wired any ES bulbs in my lifetime, although I have wire countless fittings that they are screwed into though :rolleyes:

although I have wire countless fittings that they are screwed into though :rolleyes:
My humblest apologies,
So it makes no difference which way you wire a screw in light fitting then?
Learn something new each and every day.

REGS state that the live should be wired to the center pole of the fitting But that can be ignored under
Regs:553-03-04 except for E14 and E27 lampholders
complying with BS EN 60238...

713-09-01(ii) except for E14 and E27 lampholders to
BS EN 60238...

So with the above proviso, you can put the + or - anyway that you feel like. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back