Replacement MK MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing a shower.
The CU is the MK board in the picture.
I understand that these MCB's are no longer available? but you can buy a conversion kit to fit a new MCB/RCBO. Is that correct and would it be possible to fit a RCBO to this board.

Thanks View media item 20443

Sponsored Links
You'd be better installing a separate RCD/MCB shower unit.

I don't think there's room for an RCBO in the old boards due to busbar positions.

Don't forget this in notifiable work....

These MCB's are only available through the likes of EBay - they will be secondhand and may have been subject to any kind of abuse so may not work properly when required.

You don't state what rating the shower is, the length of cable, any amount of insulation - all of which would affect whether or not a 40A MCB would be suitable.

I can only assume you are not competent to do such work and should be employing a competent Part P registered electrician to do it for you. I see too many burnt out DIY shower attempts.

Sponsored Links
These MCB's are only available through the likes of EBay - they will be secondhand and may have been subject to any kind of abuse so may not work properly when required.

You don't state what rating the shower is, the length of cable, any amount of insulation - all of which would affect whether or not a 40A MCB would be suitable.

I can only assume you are not competent to do such work and should be employing a competent Part P registered electrician to do it for you. I see too many burnt out DIY shower attempts.

The shower is 8.5kw
Clipped direct
No insulation
Length 5m

They are two boards

The MK (Which is for the kitchen/Dining area, and a Wylex 3036 which powers the rest of the house
3 bed semi, two ring2, two lighting, immersion and radial to loft office.

Tails will need upgrading as could main cutout which is 60amp

There is one way spare in the MK which I would like to use if possible.
I have read that Hager MCBs fit this board, not sure if that is correct and feel unsure about mixing makes.

The two boards are connected via Henleys to the meter plus a power supply to the shed is also off the henley blocks. So the area is cramped with not much space for expansion.

10mm gas bond, no water bond at the moment (will be)

Never put an additional CU in before, so a little unsure

The area is tight so a neat low footprint solution is needed.

The work will be notified

I have read that Hager MCBs fit this board, not sure if that is correct and feel unsure about mixing makes.

Yes they do fit very well, but like you say, you will be left with a non type tested CU insallation

Is that the lesser of two evils?

Probably, as long as the busbar connection is sound, and the fit sits right.

Oh and providing the PFC is below 6ka... (which it undoubly will be in domestic!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back