MK mcbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How backwardly compatible are MK mcb's? Neighbour has an MK CU with mcb's that was fitted in the mid 1980s. He has spare slots, and may need another circuit. Would a modern MK mcb fit? Anyone had experience of this?

He does not have the money for a new CU.

Sponsored Links
MCBs from that era are obsolete. There was a conversion kit which allowed either one or two of a later style to be installed in some limited circumstances, but that and the breakers used with it are no longer available.
The modern range is totally incompatible.

How backwardly compatible are MK mcb's? Neighbour has an MK CU with mcb's that was fitted in the mid 1980s. He has spare slots, and may need another circuit. Would a modern MK mcb fit? Anyone had experience of this?

He does not have the money for a new CU.
Picture?

He is away for two weeks so can't take a picture. But from memory it looked similar to this. The protruding squared off part on the front I think was coloured black. I never saw them with the CU cover off.
images

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I saw these are available on ebay but used. Used old mcb's must be on their last legs.

If he has a spare slot, and it is a new circuit, it is important to know what the circuit is for.

A new circuit will need to meet today's regulations and, in most cases, that circuit will need RCD-protection. That is something that his existing CU may not have. Does it?

He is away for two weeks so can't take a picture. But from memory it looked similar to this. The protruding squared off part on the front I think was coloured black. I never saw them with the CU cover off.
images
I don't know if I've seen that style of MK in black and I know I don't have any.
I have a habit of keeping old MCB's if I know their history. Just because they are old it doesn't mean they are knackered, but whether I'd trust all I see on ebay is a different matter.

Double check when he gets back.

If he has a spare slot, and it is a new circuit, it is important to know what the circuit is for.

A new circuit will need to meet today's regulations and, in most cases, that circuit will need RCD-protection. That is something that his existing CU may not have. Does it?
RCD? That old? No. It may have a ELCB. Will have to look when he gets back. A new circuit on an exiting CU and installation needs RCD? The new circuit will only be 6A supplying double insulated data equipement.

A new CU with an RCD will need the earthing sorted. One earth cable from CU to pipe near water tap and another from the CU to the inlet pipe of the gas meter.

He aims to replace the CU in the next few years when he can stomach the mess and finances. It has worked faultlessly for over 30 years. He see no reason to rush.

RCD? That old? No. It may have a ELCB. Will have to look when he gets back. A new circuit on an exiting CU and installation needs RCD? The new circuit will only be 6A supplying double insulated data equipement.
I have seen many older CUs provided with an external RCD. Perhsps there is one. We cannot guess.
What has 6amp to do with anything? It doesn’t matter if the new circuit only provides power for one tiny lamp at the top of a Christmas tree, if the wiring is concealed, or has a socket then an RCD will be required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back