replacement neon (or LED) indicators

I wonder where (if?) I might be able to buy some...
Googling the part number gets only a tiny number of hits, virtually all just to catalogue and data sheet pages. The one exception ( click here) appears to be ....

upload_2017-12-14_19-13-57.png

I suspect that you'd have to try to get a wholesaler order some for you. I suppose that £3.19 (presumably plus VAT and delivery) is not totally trivial, but certainly cheaper than a whole accessory.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Next time im in WF next week now, I will ask if, and how much and let you know, I used to do a bit of Masterseal work and used to have some spare, though where they are in my garage who knows,

thank you!

5144 would do if 7179 is not available. If you're in and they have them, and postage is not more than a fiver, could you get me some please? If they're sold "each" I just need four.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
... but it says neon ... so does this one, but it says LED in the description
Probably written by people who think that "neon" is a generic word for an indicator light!

I forgot to say before that I have/had no doubt that LEDs would probably eventually 'take over', despite what I think will almost inevitably (with current LED technology) be an appreciable increase in power consumption.

Kind Regards, John

Mine is definitely an LED.
Power consumption need not be an issue if a capacitor is used to drop the voltage.

yes, I was wondering that, but don't know how to calculate it.

yes, I was wondering that, but don't know how to calculate it.
For a few mA, we need about 100kΩ.
Xc = 1/(2πfC), so 330nF. I'd chuck in a resistor in series to be a fuse. If you use 2 leds back to back in parallel, the reverse bias voltage is kept low, and no flicker.

Xc = 1/(2πfC), so 330nF. I'd chuck in a resistor in series to be a fuse.
I would have thought the LED would be an adequate fuse!
If you use 2 leds back to back in parallel, the reverse bias voltage is kept low, and no flicker.
What about the practical implementation of all this, given that it presumably would be desirable to end up with something physically similar to the LED_resistor traditionally used in accessories? Can one get very small diameter axial capacitors of that sort of value? Can one get a pair of back-to-back LEDs in a single encapsulation? Indeed, have you looked inside your LED one and seen what it looks like?

Kind Regards, John

I've not given any of it that much thought, and haven't looked closely at what's inside my illuminated socket. Probably won't be as compact as a nice neon though!

I've not given any of it that much thought, and haven't looked closely at what's inside my illuminated socket. Probably won't be as compact as a nice neon though!
That's what I was thinking/implying, at least at this stage. If/when (almost inevitably 'when') it becomes common/standard practice, hence large-scale production, I would imagine that it will be possible to make it pretty 'compact'. I would certainly imagine that the two LED elements within a single encapsulation would be easy enough. I am less sure that it will be possible to make the capacitor, with the required voltage rating, as diddy as one might like, since one might be battling against some of the Laws of physics - but I imagine that some clever spark will eventually find a way!

Neons are all very well, and a very simple solution, but the life expectancy issue is a problem. I don't have many in my house, but most of those I do have got very dim, or stopped working completely, years ago! Having said that, it can be argued that a fairly high proportion of the neons one sees in accessories are probably not really necessary, let alone essential.

Kind Regards, John

Another problem with neons is they need a stimulus to strike. They are very reluctant to strike if in total darkness, They need a few photons to trigger ionisation in the gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back