Replacement of florescent strip of 2 to strip spot lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi is the costing of replacing fluorescent light fitting to strip of spotlights in kichen.expensive. At moment havt any lighting in kichen. When switching switch nothing happens.. I brought a strip end last year. They where fine went to switch on. The weekend nothing. I don't know if its the switch or the fitment which is quite old now or chargers. Though I would ask these questions. Just to see if anyone else has had this situation. Cheers gratefull for response. X

Sponsored Links
When a fluorescent lamp fails, its usually either the starter (usually plugged into the side of the fitting, a slight turn releases it) or the tube itself.
Often though, you see either the tube ends glowing or maybe a flash inside the starter.
If you see neither, you may have a faulty wall switch.
Any comment?
John :)

If you've got other fluorescent tubes in the house you could try swapping the starter. Or try swapping the light switch for one you know is working.

I had to replace two starters for fluorescent tubes die of old age, roughly one every two years of owning them. (YMMV). Switches don't die often at all. The starters are cheap as chips. If you've on a budget it's well worth trying.

I replaced a fluorescent tube with 8 spots (on a single bar) in my kitchen. It looked nicer whilst off but it was worse to use as you got light spots and dark patches. I added some under cupboard LEDs controlled by a motion sensor and that was ace.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back