Replacement PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, hopefully someone can help with this one.....

I'm wanting to replace an old PIR on my alarm (discoloured case makes it unsightly) and have bought a Friedland PW2 wired PIR.

On opening the packaging it looks simple enough to replace (only 2 wires to connect with polarity not being important).

However, on removing the cover to the exiting PIR (a Racal IR772D) i am presented with 7 connectors & 6 wire in the following order (with the relevant tags):

1. Black (Power -)
2. Red (Power +)
3. Yellow (NC Alarm)
4. Blue (NC Alarm)
5. -empty- (Spare)
6. -empty- (Tamper)
7. White & Green twisted together (Tamper)

Does anyone have any idea if I am able to use the new 2 connector PIR and if so, what wires do I need to attach? Or is it a case that I need to find a "like for like" replacement?

Cheers in advance for any advice/guidance/help.

Sponsored Links
You have bought probably the only incompatible PIR available.Get your money back and buy a Texecom Prestige or similar.

Not a surprise on a Racal 772. On some of them, the tamper "switch" was nothing more than a bit of metal that shorted two prongs out! If it got a bit dirty, it could go high resistance and would probably end up linked out...

Sponsored Links
Hi Mike,

I agree with Denford1. There are dozens of compatible PIRs out there but unfortunately you've bought one that isn't compatible with your system.

Take the PIR back to where you bought it and hopefully they'll have an alternative. Open the box in the shop and have a look at the connections, they should look the same as your old Racal PIR.

I'd suggest untwisting the green and white cables and connecting them into the tamper connectors, like they should be. It doesn't matter which way round you connect the green or white as tamper isn't polarity conscious.

Regards

S.A.F.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back