Replacement Room Thermostat for Satchwell TLX 2203

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some advice please.

I am currently redecorating the lounge and have decided that our old Satchwell TLX 2203 thermostat looks a bit old and tired for the room. I just want to get a nice white, more modern looking one. I have never changed a thermostat before and the wiring of the Satchwell confused me. I gather from looking at it that 1=N / 3=L . Is the red wire on the right part of the stat or the wiring in? Is this therefore a 2 wire thermostat?

I was looking at the Honeywell T6360B http://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-t6360b-room-thermostat/26159?_requestid=321586 as a replacement - (This says 3 wire installation though so not sure if suitable..)

http://www.honeywelluk.com/Documents/Installation-Guide/pdf/1151.pdf

I dont want to spend a fortune but want a nice, white modern looking one that isnt as big and 'dated' as the Satchwell.

If it makes a difference, my boiler is an oil fired Worcester Danesmoor 20/25 and the heating programmer is a Potterton EP3001. The boiler only provides heating - not hot water.

If not suitable, can you please suggest an alternative that will work.

Sorry if these are daft questions but i like to know what im doing and what will work before i start.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance....
IMG_7893.JPG
IMG_7892.JPG

Sponsored Links
Need to see under that knob on the front. The knob will just pull off.
There may be a third wire/terminal there.
Turn the power off to the boiler before putting your fingers in there.

Sponsored Links
I have the older version of the Horstman DRT2 and for mother I am using the Horstman HRFS1 both work very well and both alter temperature at different times of day so instead of switching central heating off at night it switches it down. At £17.38 for hard wired and £40.57 for wireless just can't see point in having one without a time function.

Both need batteries and my DRT2 batteries will last about 2 years but I change every year. The HRFS1 is too new to have ever needed new batteries. The DRT2 is screwed to the wall. The HRFS1 we are using free standing although it can be screwed to the wall. (The control for HRFS1 is of course fixed.)

There are many others of course but I go for the cheap ones. The HRFS1 has programming options the one selected gives 5 times per day for 7 days. So on a Monday when mother always goes out it is programmed for lower temperature while she is out and also temperature is increased in the evening. Each day is independent.

The DRT2 is more basic all 5 week days are programmed together or at least that's how old one works, with 4 temperatures per day. On SAT and SUN your reduced to two temperatures per day each day independent.

The DRT2 is about same size as the one you have. The base for the HRFS1 is about same size and must have a neutral the control panel is larger and looks like the standard thermometer you can buy to monitor room temperature and if not fixed to wall has a click out stand just like the thermometers.

The DRT2 does not require line and neutral but the base for HRFS1 does, however can be mounted at the boiler does not need to be in the room where temperature is monitored. My mother only uses two rooms and she takes the HRFS1 with her if she moves room so the room in use is always spot on.

So the DRT2 will directly replace what you have, the HRFS1 will need a little more work, but it does more. Links I give are Screwfix.

Thanks for the advice about that ericmark. Ive looked into those products and they look good!!! I'll look into the DRT2

Cheers,

Dan.

Last edited:
Too late, but I love the DT90E too, super simple to use. And don't listen to the people that say the relay is loud enough to keep you awake, it really isn't.

Siemens RAA21 if you want a plain white 2 wire type with no batteries or programming required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back