Replacement Sealed Double Glazing Unit for uPVC Front Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can someone please help advise whether the replacement glazing unit I intend to buy will correctly fit in my existing uPVC door. I am primarily concerned that the thickness of my existing unit is about 27mm, whereas the replacement one I've found online is 24mm thick.

Here's the full details in case it helps.
The lower window unit on my uPVC front door shattered (from a stone), and I've taken out the plastic beading and removed the entire, previously sealed glazing unit. It's rectangular, and seems to be a fairly standard size (660mm x 680mm) but has a form of frosted glass.
I obviously want to buy a replacement glazing unit.
The glass itself is 4mm thick (which also seems to be standard), and the whole sealed unit itself (with silver foil surround) is about 27mm thick (perhaps, 1 and 1/16 of an inch thick?).

I've only found one possible online supplier:
SealedUnitsOnline
and they seem to do provide an almost equivalent unit except that it says it is only 24mm thick.

Will it be relatively easy to 'pack out' the additional space to the uPVC beading, or should I really try harder to find a more exact replacement glazing unit? Can anyone suggest any other suppliers I might try for a more exact match?

Also, is there a particular sealing 'gunk' I should use to seal the glazing unit to the uPVC beading? [I needed to scrape off some sticky black mastic-type stuff when I removed the old unit]

Thanks for people's advice, Ezio

Sponsored Links
You need to get thickness correct.
I use a local supplier who delivers and can make up to any size.

So do search for local to you glass suppliers and ask them.
Google "glass your_town_name"
https://www.google.com/search?safe=...hUKEwjf3tP0qovpAhUSiFwKHbOkBFgQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

Or my quick google search fro "window units"
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=window+units

and selecting the first link, I found this (no idea if they are any good)
https://www.glasstops.co.uk/order-online/sealed-unit-rectangle.php

who happily do 26mm and 28mm thick units.

Note that you can measure the spacer bar to get the correct thickness, ie 4mm x2 for the glass plus the spacer bar.

And note that you need to (must) buy toughened glass for the door (look for the tick boxes).
SFK

Last edited:
Don’t do it. Your door glass is a toughened glass unit it will be 4/20/4 making it 28 mm the standard size these days. You cannot just replace the broken side the unit comes complete. Any local glass or glazing company will supply and fit for about £85.00. Your other option is to fit a plastic door panel these are freely available on eBay.

Thanks to both of you.
Johnny - I've taken the entire glazing unit out, and was intending to replace the whole thing, not just a single pane! But thanks for suggesting the alternative of replacing it with an appropriately sized plastic panel.

Sponsored Links
Ok Ezio, you’ve got all the details then. 660 x 680 toughened 4/20/4 silver bar . The only thing to choose is the obscure design. Just a tip when fitting place the glass unit on packers and not the door frame itself. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back