Replacement shower grate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mums shower grate chrome has lifted and can be a bit sharp.

Can the whole top section be replaced?

IMG_20210101_114024.jpg

Sponsored Links
As it's plastic it may not be McAlpine as they are usually brass but a standard 1 1/2" chrome shower waste will probably fit, the trick is getting the old one out and then the new one in without introducing leaks. That's the component that tightens and therefore seals the trap up to the tray.

Can you get underneath and get hold of the body of the trap?

As it's plastic it may not be McAlpine as they are usually brass but a standard 1 1/2" chrome shower waste will probably fit, the trick is getting the old one out and then the new one in without introducing leaks. That's the component that tightens and therefore seals the trap up to the tray.

Can you get underneath and get hold of the body of the trap?
Thanks,

No, garage ceiling is under it, but if needed i could make a hatch to gain access.

I have just been looking on mcalpines site, looks like you may get them in plastic?
https://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/shower-traps-accessories
standard shower waste

Just thinking, replacing with a white one may be better so it doesn't happen again

The McAlpine ones are chrome on brass not plastic, that's why I'm wondering what one you have and will they have the same size as a normal 11/2" shower waste. Should be but it's never a guarantee.

Certainly no issue changing it to white, again if the size is the same.

As suggested though, the trick will be getting the old one out and the new one in without disturbing the seal underneath.

Sponsored Links
Cheers,

i'll need to get it out first, been looking through previous posts, seen a guy mentioning to use a trowel to to out the main part of the grate once the centre bit is out.

Also, if it is mcalpine, i see SWT70WH & SW85WH part numbers, i take it the 70 & 85 will be the full width of the grate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back