Replacement tank advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope I can trouble you guys for a bit advice. We have a large rectangular tank in our loft that supplies our hot water(gravity) and tops up the pumped central heating. This has sprung a leak and needs replacing but after ringing round for prices I feel that there must be a cheaper option. I propose to replace it with an indirect combination tank and a seperate tank for the heating system top up. Questions:(1) I take it that feed and expansion for the heating system are accomodated within our existing tank. Is it sufficient to just 'tee' these connections into the visible 28mm pipes once connected to new cylinder.(2) What is the minimum storage capacity required for the new feed and expansion tank?
This is all I can think of at the moment. Hope you don't mind if I come back with some more questions. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not primatic. Elson tank (?) I believe from looking round the internet. Quotes from merchants for tank only coming in at about £500.00!

We don't know what you have now. Does it have an integral HW store? It presumably has also, integral but separate headers for the HW and the CH.
They can be replaced by separate tanks, probably a bit cheaper. Basic plumbing knowledge required, a diagram or two etc, suggest you look in a standard book if planning to diy. (Couple of quid in Homebase etc)

Sponsored Links
That doesn't incorporate a header tank for the ch system.

kevplumb said:
think it is the same as a primatic chris exept the secondary feed tank is intregal :D
looks a bit like a wierd tank I`ve come across in Son`s new(to them) house..takes it`s feed to C/H from the DHW outlet from cyl. :confused: ....From the Elsan diagram there appears to be something similar internal :confused: A picture or some dimensions of the roofspace where Elsan is sited would help the guys here ;)

Don't know how to do pics. Got at least 2.5mtrs headroom in loft. Thought 1200 x 450 indirect combination tank with header tank base level with top of new cylinder.
Those tanks apparently are very common round here.

Elson tank. Only ever replaced one. I remember it being expensive but I can't find the quote. Looked into doing it cheaper and I think the difference was about £45.00 but with a bit more work involved. Guy plumped for like for like replacement.

it is the same as a primatic chris
So it is I didn't look carefully enough :oops:
INSOLT!

Righto:
>>"
Plumbcenter Selected Product: 177216
Description ELSON SAPPHIRE 135 LTR RECESSED (RH)
Retail Price
(Excluding VAT and quantity discounts) £618.00
"<<
Or a slightly smaller one for a bit less.

Separate tanks would cost less but you'd need to build a platform to get a CW tank above the HW cylinder. Combo indirect tanks again are expensive, and the CW part is small on many.
Same tank again would go in quickly of course. Better to use a system which allows corrosion inhibitor in your ch though, which the sapphire wouldn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back