Replacing 15mm Isolation Valve.. Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Old house we moved in to seems to have a faulty 15mm Isolation Va lve but because of the way pipes are, theres a problem. No extra pipework to allow me to chop out pipe and fit new valve as all pipes lengths tightly routed. ONLY OPTION IS to unscrew current nuts at ends of existing pipework (that then screws in to faulty isolation valve body). So question is ... can i reuse those nuts (and keep attached still to pipe ends), then just replace isolation valve body (with threaded ends) and reuse current nuts connected to pipe ends?. Or will this bugger up old connections?

Sponsored Links
Should be OK to leave old nuts and olives in place. Sometimes nuts don't fit on new valves but you could split the olives with a junior hacksaw and replace everything.

Might need some jointing compound round the olives, don't bother with ptfe round the thread, it doesn't work.

Thanks mcmoby69. Someone just casual mentioned i may be wrong assuming faulty if the grub screw turns in existing which it does. Or can innards fail still?

Change it for a lever valve or at least a mini lever valve (like the ones you get on a filling loop). Ballofix isolators always leak eventually - usually from the get go.

Sponsored Links
Just replace the the old valve with the new one using the old nut and olives PTFE will be fine but do it around the olives not the thread, nuts should be same size half inch BSP.

Andy

Magicmushroom makes a very good point. There's no grub screw in a normal isolation valve, and the small check valve nut is normally hexagonal.

Also, if the pipework is a tight as you suggest, how are you going to get the pipes out of the ends of the old valve?

I think a picture of the existing would help us all suggest solutions.

Magicmushroom makes a very good point. There's no grub screw in a normal isolation valve, and the small check valve nut is normally hexagonal.

Also, if the pipework is a tight as you suggest, how are you going to get the pipes out of the ends of the old valve?

I think a picture of the existing would help us all suggest solutions.

Exactly my thoughts. If it IS a valve, and you can fit a quarter turn lever one, you can get them with a "slip" effect, so you can cut the pipe, slide the valve over one end, and then slide it in the opposite direction. But post a picture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back