Replacing 2 gang, 2 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm replacing an unfortunately positioned 2 gang light switch with an equivalent LightwaveRF switch so I can operate it remotely. The sThe left hand switch is linked to another switch at the other end of the room.

Following some advice on this forum I've taken a few photos of the old switch before going any further. I was hoping someone might be able to map out which cables should move to which position on the new switch (eg. 2W(l) in L(l), COM(r) in X(r), etc)

Many thanks in advance.

Alex

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You will not be able to use the two-way switching unless you buy a slave unit to replace the existing two-way switch.

common = L
L2 = lamp
S = slave ( two-way position)

Do not connect L to S or you will damage the dimmer.

Regards,

KA

If you do not require the two-way ( and are using RF ) you can bridge the 2way switch at the other location and blank it off.

KA

If you do not require the two-way ( and are using RF ) you can bridge the 2way switch at the other location and blank it off.

Cheers knowall,

Yes, ideally I'd like to do away with the other single switch altogether and control both sets of lights from the one 2 gang in the photo... I just can't identify which cable comes from that switch, so I thought I'd simply replace the switch like for like.

So based on what your previous post:
COM(r) to L(r)
COM(l) to L(l)

What about:
1W(r) to ?
2W(l) to ?
1W(l) to ?

Thanks,
A

Cheers knowall,

Yes, ideally I'd like to do away with the other single switch altogether and control both sets of lights from the one 2 gang in the photo... I just can't identify which cable comes from that switch, so I thought I'd simply replace the switch like for like.

So based on what your previous post:
COM(r) to L(r)
COM(l) to L(l)

What about:
1W® to = x ®
2W(l) to=x(l)
1W(l) to =x(l)

connecting the blue and yellow together on x(l) will bye pass the two switching.

Remember no connection to S

Thanks,
A

KFA - that's a dimmer, not a plain switch.

Alex - pay SFA attention to KA - he KFA.

You need a 2-gang slave dimmer at the other location, and you need to understand how your existing switches are wired, and how master/slave dimmers are wired, as they are not the same.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting + the diagram for your dimmer

BAS,

If you bother to read all posts, you would know I have explained all of your rant already.

Regards,

KA

Sorry BAS, just looked at the time of your rant…. :oops:

Pub closing time :rolleyes:

KA

COM(r) to L(r)
COM(l) to L(l)
1W(r) to = x(r)
2W(l) to=x(l)
1W(l) to =x(l)

connecting the blue and yellow together on x(l) will bye pass the two switching.

Remember no connection to S

Hi KA,

I finally got round to rewiring the switch following your instructions.

The left switch works fine but the right switch doesn't. The right hand side lights are on permanently. Not sure if I misunderstood something:

Cheers,
A

The blue and yellow don't go together, did you install a slave switch as mentioned by BAS. You should be aware that knowall, knows less than their name would suggest.
Did you not get installation instruction with this switch? if so they will inform you of the method of installation and the requirements needed to make it function.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back