Replacing 2 gang, 2 way light switch

He was advised to do that to 'bypass' the other (two-way) switch.

As for the right hand switch -

Does it sound like it is working properly?
Have you caused any short-circuits during the work?

You could try putting the two reds, not the link, back in the old switch to see if it works.
If it does then the dimmer is faulty.

Sponsored Links
Sure u don't mean the left switch is on all the time?

This is what I'm wondering.

I would have expected the switch with the yellow and blue to be on all the time wired like that.

If so, tell us what's at the other switch. It should be blanked off nicely in any case, as you don't want a switch there that doesn't do anything.

Thanks PBDerry, I figured consulting a forum for advice might result in a few less than helpful responses... but to his credit, Knowall did offer the least cryptic (and least patronising) response so far.

I did consult the instructions http://www.lightwaverf.com/upload/pdf/JSJSLW220_2gangdimmer_manual.pdf but I don't think the wiring diagram applies to my setup.

Obviously I'm no expert (which brought me here in the first place) but why would I need to install the slave switch at the other location if I want to bypass it?

Thanks EFLI, no shorts I am aware of. I isolated the fuse before rewiring the switch and flipped it back on without incident. When I got back to the room the lights controlled by the right hand side of the switch were permanently on, regardless of the positions of that switch.

A

Sponsored Links

Nope, the left switch operates the lights on the left hand side of the room perfectly. It's the right hand switch doesn't affect the light on the right hand side of the room.

This is what I'm wondering.

I would have expected the switch with the yellow and blue to be on all the time wired like that.

If so, tell us what's at the other switch. It should be blanked off nicely in any case, as you don't want a switch there that doesn't do anything.

Cheers Sparlwright,

There's a pullcord switch at the other end of the room that operates the left hand side lights along with the left switch on the two gang I'm replacing. I'll remove it as soon as I get this working.

But one of the reds (left one) in the right hand switch must be permanent live otherwise the left would not work.

See original wiring.

Edit - It could be the right hand wire if the switch is stuck on,

That is the direction in which my train of thought is heading.
The switch is permanently closed.
It could be worth disconnecting left hand cables and swapping with the right hand ones to see if the right side is faulty.

That is the direction in which my train of thought is heading.
The switch is permanently closed.
It could be worth disconnecting left hand cables and swapping with the right hand ones to see if the right side is faulty.

Thanks EFLI,

I've swapped the cables in the Switch terminals (blue/yellow with the red) and that made no difference to the lights other than the switches were swapped. That would indicate the 2 gang dimmer switch is fine, I just don't understand why the lights on the right hand side of the room are always on?

Could it have something to do with the bulbs not being dimmable ones?

Cheers,
A

Try leaving one of the yellow or blue wires disconnected from the switch and safely insulated in a terminal block.

If they are strappers for a two way lighting circuit like this ( from the Wiki )

then joining the strappers together will keep the lamp on. You need to check the blue and yellow are not joined at the other switch controlling the lamp that stays on.

Right.

Straw clutching. Do the lights go out when the two reds are not connected to the switch?
Mark the one that is in with the link.
Remove both of them.
Put them in separate connector blocks before switching on the power.

Do the other lights still go on and of. They shouldn't.

Try leaving one of the yellow or blue wires disconnected from the switch and safely insulated in a terminal block.

If they are strappers for a two way lighting circuit like this ( from the Wiki )

then joining the strappers together will keep the lamp on. You need to check the blue and yellow are not joined at the other switch controlling the lamp that stays on.

Thanks bernard, but the yellow/blue wires are linked to the lights that work normally. It's the lights on the other side of the room which are simply wired using the live and switch that are now on permanently?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back