Replacing 2g 2w light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, need some help with this one if you could be so kind!

Hall entrance switch for hall light and outside light.

I am replacing a 2gang 2way with a new MK switch of the same kind, a simple process I thought. Once off the wall the old switch has 4 sets of twin and earth coming in to it. All of the black wires are connected together with a plastic electrical block. The earths are connected to the metal box which leaves me with 4 red wires.

This is where the fun starts... I have one into L2 left and 1 into L2 right, 1 into L1 left and 1 into L1 right, simple so far.

Between L1 right and L1 left there is an extra red wire about 2" long connecting the 2.

Now I have tried the exact same combination with the new MK switch and nothing happens no lights come on or breaker pops.

If I take out the bridging wire my lounge light will not work, so it's something to do with this somewhere along the line.

Not sure what make the old switch is does not say.

Electrics not my strong point so layman terms please!!

thanks for any info

Sponsored Links
If you have fitted it back identically, it should be fine.

Have you snagged a red wire on the metal box?? Take a GOOD look.

Did you replace the switch because the previous one had gone faulty?? Possibly due to it switching a fault on the outside lights in the first place??

I'll double check the wires for a snag, but pretty sure it's not that. I've put the old one back on and it works fine.

I'm replacing all the plugs and switches as I decorate, everythings covered in paint. I don't think the previous owner of the house could work a screwdriver.

Any more ideas??

When you say L1 - this should be COM on the new switch.

L2 should be L1.

Different manufacturers label differently.

This wouldn't explain the tripping though.

Is it the small MCB that trips, or the larger RCD??

Sponsored Links
Leccy

As I read it, he's saying NOTHING happens, nothing works and no breakers trip..

Ok, does that mean that the 2 L1's on the old switch now go to the COM on the new, with the bridge wire between the two? If so what about the L2's on the old, do they go to the L2's or L1's on the new MK?

And you're right securespark when I switch the breaker back on it does not trip, but the lights do not work.

thanks

how many wires? said:
Ok, does that mean that the 2 L1's on the old switch now go to the COM on the new, with the bridge wire between the two?

sounds like it to me.

how many wires? said:
If so what about the L2's on the old, do they go to the L2's or L1's on the new MK?
probablly the L1's on the new switch but if you pick the wrong one all that will happen is your switch will work upside down (the on and off positions will be the opposite of what you are used to).

Thanks, I'll give it a go in the morning, fed up of doing things by torchlight. Besides had a few bevvies, probably not good electrical practice.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for the info.

Are, reading again, it seems that NO TRIPS POP!! :oops:

Yep, change the cores I previously said - job will be a gooden!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back