Replacing 3.5" lead soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a short section, maybe 30 to 40cm of 3.5" lead soil pipe that comes in from a bend on the outside wall. All the exterior soil pipe is 3.5" cast iron, and I have no wish to change it.

On the face of it, there is nothing wrong with the pipe, i.e. it is not leaking has been there 60 years, and will in all likely hood last another 60 years if not longer. There is no problem connecting it to the toilet, McAlpine do plenty of pushfit 3.5" pan connectors, and in the current setup the back to the wall toilet completely covers it, so it is not even visible.

However it is lead, and my understanding is that all lead pipe should be replaced where possible during refurbishment. The problem is that nobody seems to sell 3.5" plastic pipe :(

The closest I can find is 100mm ducting, but I am a little dubious about using this for soil waste and it is probably not approved anyway. I have also found someone selling 100mm copper pipe which would also do the trick, but that is a bit pricey as it will cost £50.

I have also debated replacing it with cast iron, but I am somewhat skeptical of push fit making a good connection to the inside of a cast iron pipe as it is not exactly smooth, and while the application of a circular flap disk and a drill could sort that out, I doubt it will stay that way once it is in use.

What's the "right" thing to do plastic, copper or cast iron? Or should I just stop obsessing about it being lead leave it as is?

Sponsored Links
Only lead potable water and lead gas pipes should be replaced.

Soil pipe is no problem.

Do what you want but most would use plastic soil pipe. That can usually be joined to cast iron with silicone sealant. Many would just use plumbers mait but you should really not use that with plastic.

Tony

Only lead potable water and lead gas pipes should be replaced.

Soil pipe is no problem.

Thing is the lead waste was something flagged up on the survey when I brought the property, as something that needed replacing. This 3.5" soil pipe is all that is left.

Do what you want but most would use plastic soil pipe. That can usually be joined to cast iron with silicone sealant. Many would just use plumbers mait but you should really not use that with plastic.

Where do I get 3.5" plastic soil pipe though as nobody seems to make it?

I keep seeing that about plumbers mait, but the small tub that I have from Evostick, says on the side for use with PVC, so what is the alleged problem with using it on plastic, other than it is second only to tarred hemp as the worst thing in the world to work with?

Leave it alone unless you need to alter it.

You can but CI adapters that fit inside the ci socket and be cemented in with a special cement, but first you would have to get the lead and brass ferrel out, not easy.

Alternatively depending on the fitting, you can cut the socket off and use a "Fernco" connector.

Sponsored Links
I keep seeing that about plumbers mait, but the small tub that I have from Evostick, says on the side for use with PVC, so what is the alleged problem with using it on plastic, other than it is second only to tarred hemp as the worst thing in the world to work with?

I think that you may find that although Mait says it can be used on plastic pipe the plastic pipe makers say you should not!

Its actually OK but we have to follow the maker's instructions.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back