Replacing 30 year old uPVC windows, worth it?

I'l tell you now ...in five years time you won't have argon gas in them lol.

If you have gaps you can get your fingers in , then the hinges have had it ..not unusual at all. and yes new windows will make a noticeable difference against them in their current state. You could always just change the hinges and upgrade the glass to energy efficient sealed units ( diamant glass /warm edge spacer bar/argon/planitherm ) . The only other difference in reality , once broken hinges handles and seals are replaced would be the actual frame, and how many ' cells ' its divided into internally, most old were 3 , then 5 and now some are 7. Then it would all come down to the actual fitting....

The decision is entirely yours at the end of the day

thanks, I think I’m going to just bite the bullet. It’s a lot of money to replace but given the size of the windows I’m not confident enough to have a go at repairing myself so I’d have to pay someone anyway. One repair firm told me they wouldn’t bother and to replace. They other came back with a quote that was around half but it’s still a fair amount.

Thanks all you have helped in my decision making!!

Sponsored Links
thanks, I think I’m going to just bite the bullet. It’s a lot of money to replace but given the size of the windows I’m not confident enough to have a go at repairing myself so I’d have to pay someone anyway. One repair firm told me they wouldn’t bother and to replace. They other came back with a quote that was around half but it’s still a fair amount.

Thanks all you have helped in my decision making!!

for upvc windows, I suggest using a small local firm - either one man band or a few guys.

Larger companies split up the work: you would get a salesmen first, to price and try and convert. If you sign up you would get a surveyor come round, then you would get a team of self employed installers.

A one man band would sell, survey and install - not always best, but it often is.

Ask the upvc pros on here which profiles they recommend - some are better than others.

Mrs Mottie was only saying the other day about having our YPVC windows replaces as they are just over 20 years old now. I told her she was talking out of her arse!

Our first set lasted 40 years and only replaced because they were the old, uninsulated alloy frame DG units, installed in our original wood frames and the hinges and handles were worn out. None of the glass panels had misted.

Modern double glazing units are 28mm thick , my old windows were only 14mm , better insulation .

Sponsored Links
A one man band would sell, survey and install - not always best, but it often is.

We had a quote from one of the large national which advertise on TV, after they had done a door, then had them quote for doing all of the rest. A local installer did a better job and undercut the national company by a large amount.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back