Replacing 3CH Programmer with 2 Hive Minis.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm looking for some reassurance before I blow up my boiler and lose all heating whilst it's snowing outside! I have searched and found similar setups but nothing that matches mine enough to give me that confidence!

I currently have a 3ch ESI3427B Programmer controlled by 2 x ESI ESRTERFW Thermostats, 1 upstairs zone one downstairs.
The plan is to install two Hive Mini's, one dual channel type to control downstairs and the Hot Water, and the second, single channel type one to control the upstairs zone.
Can someone out there just help reassure me the below is the right way to set this up!

upload_2022-2-19_13-45-17.png

Finally, I assume the wiring to the thermostats just becomes redundant. I just need to tape it off for possible future use?
Thanks for any help or guidance!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-19 133756.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-19 133756.png
    373.3 KB · Views: 516
Sponsored Links
Sorry you are so
wrong on many counts, you show wiring diagrams for room thermostats, you dont have thermostats with the hive minis, they are the thermostats, you have a wire going to CH OFF this is not used, you need a wire going to terminal 1 on the single channel hive

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I’m confused @ianmcd, the wiring diagram shows a heating off on one thermostat, but not the other? :confused:

Edit: it must be a typo in the wiring diagram, should read ch on (n)

I’m confused @ianmcd, the wiring diagram shows a heating off on one thermostat, but not the other? :confused:

Edit: it must be a typo in the wiring diagram, should read ch on (n)
@CBW CH off is very seldom used in the UK , only time I have used it is wiring up a combined heating and cooling system, as you know HW off is used when Y plan, but never CH off

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Bit confused why you think I have shown wiring Diagrams for the thermostats though Ianmcd? What I have shown is the actual receiver backing plates and the programmer wiring diagram. I have put them against the thermostat boxes, just so I know which is the single (Red) and Dual (Blue) receivers.
But as CBW has pointed out the diagram has no CH1 on and I'm assuming that is just a error as later in the pdf it shows the below configuration. I have updated my little diagram to show what I thought is correct and also the Hive diagram I have used to get there! Hopefully this is right but if you think it's still wrong let me know and I'll have to wait and pay someone who does know!!
Thanks again.
upload_2022-2-19_15-33-51.png

Still wrong, the hive single channel is volt free so you need a feed into terminal 1 , you will need to make a link a link between L&1 on the single channel hive ,

Bit confused why you think I have shown wiring Diagrams for the thermostats though Ianmcd?
Look at your own post, you show using 2 x room stats

Ok thanks for the response again, still confused on the thermostat bit, so this is my last shot!
upload_2022-2-19_17-42-35.png

You’ll need to ensure that the zone valves are activated by the Hive switching, so the single channel will need to be near to wiring center. Wiring in last post seems ok to me.

Can I jump on this thread? I've followed the wiring above and removed the ESI programmer which had 6 terminals, instead using 2 hive backplates with the above wiring.
Everything looks like it's working, however the heating for either zone never comes on. Hot water is working fine.
Is there anything I need to do in the wiring center? Picture attached.
I should also say this is the normal hive, not mini.
I have a dual channel receiver for the hot water and zone 1 and a single combi receiver for zone 2 only.
Hope someone can help.

Attachments

• 20240327_185425.jpg
    20240327_185425.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 20
Can you show wiring for the hive? What happened with the previous thermostats? Also, would have been better starting your own thread, referencing to this one, as it could get confusing.

Yeah understood, i was just trying to tap in to any existing knowledge.
Attached is the picture of the 2 back plates.
I have terminated all the wires in the previous stats boxes.

Attachments

• 20240327_194748.jpg
    20240327_194748.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Thanks
It shows as an earth wire going in to the single zone terminal but its what was previously wired to terminal 6 in the old programmer. I have brown tape around it

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back