Replacing a broken Paterson heating controller help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so to start from the beginning my gf recently moved into a 1986 build house and it's all electric.... The heating consists of 2 zones of 2 panel heaters 2 upstairs (zone 1) and 2 downstairs (zone2) these are controlled via a Paterson heating timer in the kitchen this unit has completely broke leaving her without heating heading into winter. I know that Paterson heating went bust so a direct replacement is out of the question. But noone seems to be able help with finding a some sort of controller to replace it.
I will describe the unit as such:

the front panel consists of 2 clocks one for each zone and 2 rocker switches that have: off, constant and timed
there is nothing else on the panel is it doesn't control the water.

Once the panel is off there is 2 chocolate blocks (one per zone) each one has 2 red and 1 black.
Both choc bloccks go into 2 relays and intern connect to the front panel

I hope that helped and if anyone knows what best choice for direct replacemtn I would appriciqte the advice

onemore thing my gf doesn't mind if the whole house is controlled so a single timer would be fine but the ones iv been looking at I'm not sure if they can take the load of 4 panel heaters
thanx again

Sponsored Links
Ok my broswer timed out after writing a huge amount so I'm to impatient to write again so excuse my briefness:

anyway after a little research I believe my option is use the already installed relays to take the load. And wire a timer up to the relays to trip them
does this sound feasable or a bit silly

Sponsored Links
anyway after a little research I believe my option is use the already installed relays to take the load. And wire a timer up to the relays to trip them
does this sound feasable or a bit silly

No, that sounds sensible. If the relays are indeed external and take all the heavy load of the heaters, the timer itself will only be expected to provide a few watts to power the relay coils. As such, you should be able to install more or less any heating programmer with the required number of channels, assuming the relay coils are 230v.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back