Replacing a plug!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just dicovered that the black and decker drill i have been using has a 3 pin plug adaptor on it as the original fitting is a two pin plug...
Anyways i dropped the drill on the plug which ripped it off the wall and revealed this...

My question is, can i replace the two pin with a proper 3 pin plug..??
The wires inside the cable are brown and blue???

thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
This is an increasingly common thing to see now, equipment that's manufactured for europe is given a european plug, and then they just pop an adapter on the end for the UK market.

You should be fine wiring a normal UK plug on to the end, with the obvious colour coding (brown = live, blue = neutral). Make sure you put an appropriate fuse in the plug (there should have been one in the adapter so you can probably just carry that over).

your B & D is probably double insulated so doesn't require an earth wire, should be a symbol on the label with a square within a square to confirm this.

Thanks..i'll pop a plug on then...

It did contain a 5amp fuse in the adaptor..

Should I replace with 5amp fuse or should i use a 13amp fuse....

Sponsored Links
5A should be correct, as long as you don't have some ridiculously powerful drill (i.e. anything above about 1.1kW) - if it's a standard ~650W or whatever then it'll be fine...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back