Replacing a shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 9.5KW shower which is not working, and I want to replace with similar. The shower was already there when I bought the house, can I do it myself or would I need an electrician to do this?

I know that rules are different for installing new sockets as opposed to just replacing them, etc, but not sure if the same applies to high power items like showers.

The shower has a seperate MCB in the fuse bos, and a shower switch outside the bathroom, and an isolating valve for the water.

Sponsored Links
Your are allowed to do a mtce / service swap- but do keep the new item 'like for like'. So 9.5kw item out, 9.5kw item in.

If you increase the shower kw size there's more than a fair chance that the electrics would need updating.

On all new shower instals the circuit should be protected by either an RCD or RCBO. Since yours is a mtce job you could skirt round the issue of compliance with 17th ed BS7671:2008, but saying that the protection offered by an RCD / RCBO could save a life.

I'd also add that since water areas and electrics don't mix are you 110% confident and ok with doing such work ?

I agree with Chris, you are allowed to change like for like.
Do you feel confident enough to firstly insure the circuit is dead before you can work safely on it.
Then the matter of disconnecting old equipment and replacing with new.
Then the matter that the shower will then be safe to use.
Not a put off, after all it supposed to be a diy forum, but a dangerous place to have electrical faults.

Hi again,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am replacing like-for-like, and I am confident of the work required. The only complication may occur if the new shower has different entry points for water/electrics, but the cable comes from the loft and I think that there is enough slack to cater for problems.

I will check out the option of replacing the MCB with an RCD, but I assume that this will entail installing a separate shower consumer unit so I will need a sparky.

Sponsored Links
I will check out the option of replacing the MCB with an RCD, but I assume that this will entail installing a separate shower consumer unit so I will need a sparky.
Just to be clear, the RCD is additional, it doesn't replace the MCB. The sparky sounds like a good idea if you go that route.

You might be able to get an RCBO (RCD and MCB in one) depending on your CU make and age,

Your are allowed to do a mtce / service swap- but do keep the new item 'like for like'. So 9.5kw item out, 9.5kw item in.
I agree with Chris, you are allowed to change like for like.
Provided the existing circuit can cope with a higher current, i.e. you wouldn't have to change the cables or the MCB, you could have a more powerful shower - there's nothing in the regulations which says the replacement one has to be the same.

:LOL:

I didn't want to give the thought that the OP could update the shower with an increase in power demand (OP quite a few new units are 10.5 kw + ) and then go through the hassle of asking about:-

Existing fuse size
Existing cable size
Installation method
Length of run
etc

If the OP wants to increase shower size then the best thing to do would be to detail that requirement. Since the RCD / RCBO suggestion takes the job away from DIY that something to ask the on site contractor about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back