Replacing all the floorboards in a room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing up a Victorian house and need to re-do the floor in one of the bedrooms. There's a big chuck missing where somebody has taken out the fireplace and the rest of the boards are in a really poor state with chunks taken out etc.

What would be the best wood to use? Can i just take up the old boards and lay T+G pine from one of the sheds or will this have problems with load bearing? I've only ever seen that stuff laid over floors, not over joists.

Any advice or handy tips appreciated. In my head it seems quite a striaghtforward job so that means there's somethig I;ve not thought of!

Cheers
Bob.

Sponsored Links
Ye no problem. Just got to check joist spacing to the thickness of board you need. You may want to consider plywood sheets to. Faster to install, Less chance of squeaks, more stable, less draft , the list goes on!

Shed t-G will do the job, but you might get it cheaper at an builders merchants, after all have you seen the sheds construction of there sheds :LOL: even the 3 pigs would not stand any chance with the wolf :LOL: ;)

check the thickness as shed bought wood is in general 3mm thinner than your woodyard 18 or 19 compared to 21 or 22

Sponsored Links
All the other bedrooms are keeping the bare boards so I'd like to go with wood for this one as well. Plywood doesn't look as good so T+G it is.

Thanks for the advice. I'll find a timber yard and do it properly, hopefully this one will last another 120 years.

You will probably not be able to match the old boards, so you may end up doing one room in new, unless you need so little that you can plane or thickness it to match. You can use the good salvaged boards to repair your other rooms, though.

you will need a pair of these
0880-large.jpg
available from a hire shop.

also, don't go mad and rip the old floor up entirely, just take a few up at the end you are going to start. this way you will be able to work comfortably on the existing boards and have somewhere to put your tools.

if the boards are to be decorative then you can also hire a hidden nailer which sits in the tongue and pins the board invisibly. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back