Replacing an ancient WBosch with Vokera, looking for advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New on here!

Just had a quote to replace an ageing(15 year old) Worc Bosch combi with a Vokera compact condensing boiler. (£1300 all in)
The WB combi has done well but it's age is starting to show it's age and has had a couple of expensive breakdowns in the last couple of years.
The property is one I let out and I am keen to have as few call outs in the middle of winter as possible due to a boiler that keeps packing up.

Firstly how's the quote?
I also read that the heat exchanger on Vokera's are plated. I am not a heating engineer but I am a chartered mechanical engineer and from what I've been led to believe(and my knowledge from the oil industry), stainless heat exchangers are much better.
Just wondering what you guys think?

I've also been looking at the ability with Vokera's to fit an outside weather compensation device. Not that expensive so I think I'll fit it as well.
I take it the wires from the outside temp device just get plugged into the control pad? Is this right or does it get wired into the boiler? I'm just trying to work out the best place to site the control pad.

And lastly (I know it is different with everyone) but are Vokera's any good? Is it worth stepping up to a "better" boiler and if so what's the price difference?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
After reading another couple of posts on here, is the guy at it?
The WB boiler I have at the moment only produces hot water when the central heating is on.
He did say something about the "divertor valve would cause that to happen".
Is this likely? When you switch the central heating on you get copious amounts of hot water.
Does this sound like the divertor valve? If so, how much would this cost to fix?
I did ask for a quote to fix the boiler and a cost to replace it. He only gave me a price to replace, funny that ;)
Someone scouting for work??

It's a Worcester Bosch 240 combi.

The thing is the guy that cam eround actually thought it would might be the divertor valve, but then started going down the route of sucking his gums and saying,
"this is an ancient boiler"
"my mate had one of these until recently and was repairing it all the time"
etc etc
He then priced up a full system replacement for me and didn't even quote on the intial repair!!
Dodger! ;)

Afetr having a search on here for "diverter valve" it sounds very similar to the symptons I'm experiencing.
Would a faulty diaphragm cause similar symptoms?

Another problem it's been having in the run up to this is drops in the water pressure in the radiators. It dropped to zero pressure before I got a chance to top it up the last time. I know this might just be a small leak in the pipework but I might as well post up all the symptoms.

Sponsored Links
The boiler you have got is oldish, but good quality.
Vokera is one of the cheapest boilers you can find in this country, and the quality is exactly what you can expect if you buy cheapo.
I only install WB, and the larger model, with all the bits you need, costs about as much as your quote for supply and fit.
I don't know a single good installer who wants to work with vokera because they are junk.

Greatscot, Looks like you are in Vokera (Scotland) country. All I can say is Vokera is no better or no worst than middle of the road boilers. While current Vokeras are not as well made as earlier models, I would, if push comes to a shove, choose a Vokera in place of WB, Ideal or Ravenheat to name three.

My take on plumber's favorite (WB) is that it is easy to fit but a pig to repair.

One word of caution. Ensure system get cleaned properly (not just a draindown), else any boiler (cheap or expensive) will give you trouble.

Alternative. Get the 240 serviced.

Post your location- a regular might come to your aid. Sure your boiler will not be dead yet.

The boiler you have got is oldish, but good quality.
Vokera is one of the cheapest boilers you can find in this country, and the quality is exactly what you can expect if you buy cheapo.
I only install WB, and the larger model, with all the bits you need, costs about as much as your quote for supply and fit.
I don't know a single good installer who wants to work with vokera because they are junk.

Bengasman, I agree with what you say about the boiler, it has been faithfull for the ten years I've had it(It was in before that). In all the years I've had it it has has never totally stopped working. I got conned into paying a fixed call out fee from WB a couple of years ago. I've learned.....

I'm certainly not going to go down the route of throwing it out to replace it when it is not necessary. It's been pretty good and I think replacing this diverter valve(if that is the problem!) and a good service is a far better option than throwing it out.

DP,
Yup I'm in Scotland. Aberdeen city to be precise. A decent plumber rec would be appreciated.

When you say system get cleaned properly (not just a draindown),
Would a 3/4 week stint with a Fernox cleaner solution then total flush through suffice? Then re-fill and top up with fernox protection?
I have bought both kits, just haven't used them yet.
You aren't meaning a powerflush are you? There are no problems with sludge or cold spots at all so I think the actual system is still in pretty good nick. I don't think a power flush in necessary. (but that's me!)

Cheers

Greatscot, Looks like you are in Vokera (Scotland) country. All I can say is Vokera is no better or no worst than middle of the road boilers. While current Vokeras are not as well made as earlier models, I would, if push comes to a shove, choose a Vokera in place of WB, Ideal or Ravenheat to name three.

My take on plumber's favorite (WB) is that it is easy to fit but a pig to repair.

One word of caution. Ensure system get cleaned properly (not just a draindown), else any boiler (cheap or expensive) will give you trouble.

Alternative. Get the 240 serviced.

Post your location- a regular might come to your aid. Sure your boiler will not be dead yet.

could not agree with DP more.

been fitting,servicing, and occasionally repairing Vokeras for 10 years.
in my experience great tech support,any warranty repairs done next day,can get all spares off shelf.
compacts = budget price good reliability
unicas= mid price we have had lots of probs with fans
lineas= top end IMHO superb. not one fault reported back.

and the new weather compensation kit does some fantastic stuff(automatically reducing flow temp to match heat demand,keeps it condensing 80% of its run time,saves ££££££££s)

It's a Worcester Bosch 240 combi.

The thing is the guy that cam eround actually thought it would might be the divertor valve, but then started going down the route of sucking his gums and saying,
"this is an ancient boiler"
"my mate had one of these until recently and was repairing it all the time"
etc etc

Would a faulty diaphragm cause similar symptoms?

repair your worcester it is a good boiler - Vokera are not

the diverter valve is most likely, approx £175 fitted (if we do it)
the only other things that gives problems are PCB (rare) and calorifier again if descaled in time will work for a good few years (replacement is about £200 + labour)

if you get a problem Vokera want a fiver just to talk to you! steer clear in my opinion

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll be off in search of another plumber to have a look at it tomorrow to come and have a look at it, replace the divertor valve (hopefully the problem) and do a service.
It's had a couple of other wee niggles like water going cool then warm whilst in the shower.
Oh and the tennants have buggered the radiator temperature control knob. It just spins all the way round now. They'll be picking up the tab for that.
Any recs of a local plumber (Aberdeen city) would be appreciated.

Thanks for your input.

if you get a problem Vokera want a fiver just to talk to you! steer clear in my opinion

only on the older models, the newer ones are still free. at any rate just say you work for BG and they will give you free advice on the older models.

OP, vokeras may not be what they once were but they are still a good middle of the road alternative. my 2 year old linea has never had a problem. the only thing that worries me about it is the price of the PCB......think i'll be getting a fixed price repair from BG for that one if it ever goes. :LOL:

WB call out and fix for £280 sounds a lot cheaper than a new boiler. -

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back