Replacing an old dial thermostat with a Hive system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am trying to replace an old Honeywell T6360 dial thermostat with a Hive single channel link.

I have an Alpha CB2028 gas combi boiler fitted with the optional clock timer (https://www.alpha-innovation.co.uk/...s/CB24 28 Installation and Servicing Inst.pdf).

The current thermostat is wired up as shown in attached photos.

upload_2019-2-12_18-47-32.png

My understanding is that the thermostat is currently set up so that it operates as simple low voltage switch (as shown in schematic A).
upload_2019-2-12_18-51-0.png

...and so, in order to replace the current thermostat with the Hive link, I would have to establish an 230V connection to the neutral and live terminals (as shown schematic B), which would then power the Hive.

upload_2019-2-12_18-52-37.png

The thermostat is currently located in the hall of my flat, but there is an obvious place next to the boiler where I could install the hive, and this would allow me to run a separate connection to the fused supply that powers the boiler. Would this be suitable, or is there a better way?

I would be grateful for anyone's comments on any of the above, and/or any advice as to how best to go about this installation.

Cheers
A
p.s. - the schematic diagrams have been ripped from a different forum post which seemed to match my set-up, apologies.

Sponsored Links
upload_2019-2-12_18-52-37.png

That looks good to me (y)

Fig 1 on page 4 of your manual shows 230V going to the room thermostat, not 24v, but it doesn't matter which you have. The Hive single channel has voltage free contacts and will happily operate on either 230V or 24v.

The Hive Receiver should be supplied via the same 3A fused spur as the boiler.

You can install the Hive Receiver near the boiler, provided that it's not too close to the boiler, which being a big metal box can screen the receiver from erm...receiving. 30cm is the recommended minimum distance.

If your boiler is the type where the wiring terminals are contained inside a room sealed compartment, that would need to be opened to gain access the wring terminals, then rerouting the existing wires would definitely be the way to go. Opening up a room sealed compartment is not a DIY job, it should be done by a RGI (Gas Safe Engineer) who will check that it is properly sealed up again afterwards.

The boilers integral timeswitch would need to be set to be permanently 'on' 24/7, otherwise it can override the Hive.

as @stem correctly says about the combustion chamber, fortunately yours is fine you can access the electrics without worry, if it was me I would use the wires from the internal clock to your hive receiver, L&N to L&N on the receiver and then the two switching wires to 1&3 on the receiver either way round it doesnt matter, then remove the two wires from your thermostat at the boiler and put a link between the two terminals and you are good to go, and your boiler is a CB28 not a CB2028

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back