replacing an old oven - wiring concerns

Sponsored Links
Hi all

Thanks for the advice, so far, so

I've looked at the fuse box, and as I said before it uses MCB's. the mcb for the oven says B20 on it (there are two B6's and two B20's) so i assume this is a 20amp circuit.

The terminal outlet box is metal and the earth wire from the old oven is wired to the box - I can't see an earth wire going to the box from elsewhere.

So

1) would it be safe to remove the blank plate and replace this with a plug socket.

2) would this plug socket need to be a special one?

3) the old oven has a cable running to it from the outlet box, could I wire this wire into the oven, this wire seems to be about 1.5mm in diameter.

3) if any of the above actions are safe, which of those require me to get an electrician to do them?

Thanks

20A MCB is possibly too big for 1.5mm² oven wiring (from your pictures). You might need to drop to 16A. Alternatively, you can replace the terminal plate with a 13A socket. On a 20A radial, I think this could even be a 2-gang socket in case you want run a gas igniter too. Either way you should probably have an accessible isolator switch above the counter. I suspect it is all notifiable to your local BC under Part P and it might be cost effective to employ an electrician. Why not ring your local BC and ask them what they consider is notifiable?

A lot of posters are either too lazy/ignorant to say 1.5mm² and might just write 1.5mm. Cabling is specified by cross section area and not by diameter. In this case they are very similar as a single 1.5mm² round conductor has a diameter of 1.38mm.

Sponsored Links
The terminal outlet box is metal and the earth wire from the old oven is wired to the box - I can't see an earth wire going to the box from elsewhere.
That's very serious - you need to check whether there is, or is not, an earth connection available asap. If not then nothing is safe until the circuit is rewired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back