Replacing and installing newel post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I am sorting out some stairs after removing a wall earlier this year.

One side of the stairs the string appears to be bedded into the concrete floor, and on the other side the chopped off newel post is bedded into the concrete floor and the string is bolted to that.

I am intending in putting in full posts back in now.

So I am going to replace the post on oneside and bed it back in with some concrete and glue it back to the string.

And on the side with no existing newel I was going to can and be in the post and glue it to the string (with proper joints etc)

Should I do this one side at a time or could I do both at the same time, I will need to walk up the stairs a couple of times within 24 hours to go to bed etc.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

Rob

View media item 44968 View media item 44969 View media item 44970 View media item 44971

Sponsored Links
are the strings both the same thickness ?? has been known for the supported wall string to be thinner

hello big all

they are the same thickness,

The wall on the post side was stud wall for the last 5 steps, the wall on the string into the ground side was block wall for the last 5 steps. There were no fixings into the wall on either side when i removed them

Thanks
Rob

lh side you can saddle over the string
the rh side all depends on how much post you have to play with usually you will need a flat top and a big dowel

but suspect you will have to half lap to the side off the tennon rather than through it

as i say it all depends on how much material you will have

Sponsored Links
thanks all.

so far i have chipped out the concrete and removed wooden pegs and ripped the old newel out.

the joint on the end of the string luckily wasnt glued so with a jimmy got it off.

measured the new post and cut to length then I measured and marked ou and copied the existing.

Then I have test fitted and drilled holes and plugs and glued and bolted the new post in.

Finishing off by re concreting it in.

And the other side I have cut a big slot. Im going to trim the end of the string square to hide it in the newel and saddle it over as u suggest.

I think Im in danger of doing a proper job here lol......

THanks again.

Rob

if your skills are up to it
i would cut a grove in the lh side newel to accept the tread side and back i would make the groove around 15mm deep
i would further remove 3mm from the newel side to clear the riser reduced to give a 1mm gap and leaving you with the newel covering the edge off the riser by 2mm when back in position

it would need to slide back onto the tread and string with loads off foaming glue[like gorilla or the one from toolstation]
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adh...ood+Adhesive+750g+5+Minute/d180/sd3198/p93568

if you dont have a gouge to copy the tread front onto the newel use a spade bit or small hole saw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back