Replacing Atkinson tankmaster oil filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replaced a the oil filter today. Luckily the o-ring at the top was still ok, and would seal. I tried to push it out with a small flat headed screwdriver, but was having trouble. My question is does anybody have any tips, or tricks for getting the o-ring out of the top, so it can be replaced. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's not usually much of an issue, but I stick a thin screwdriver into the o ring slot, slide it one way or another and the rubber ring gives up.
John :)

Unless the seal falls out, I always put the bowl back. If it doesn't leak, no problem. If it does, then butcher the o ring and replace.

Really honestly you must replace the o ring I use a proper o ring tool there is only so much an o ring will take before it leaks

Sponsored Links
the profile of the Tankmaster valve and bowl is very forgiving. The usual problem is where the bowl is overtightened and the bottom is dished. Then you need 2 hammers to reform the bowl.

You can buy a kit which gives you a new bowl filter and o ring and a new bolt so easy
To do a filter change properly

Thanks will give it all a try. Will look in to o-ring tool. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back