Replacing bedroom light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am trying to replace a bedroom light. I have posted the images of the current wiring and the new light (also the earth wire on the new light fitting). I can identify the live, neutral and earth but not quite sure how the wiring should transfer into the new light. Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Charn

Attachments

• iOS Image - 2071729315.jpg
    iOS Image - 2071729315.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 226
  • iOS Image - 4260087088.jpg
    iOS Image - 4260087088.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 238
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Assuming the old lamp and the ceiling rose are being removed then the brown and blue wire that go to that lamp are no longer needed and should be removed with the ceiling rose.

If you are keeping the ceiling rose in place then

upload_2020-10-30_13-43-15.png

It's very useful when taking apart electrical connections, especially in ceiling roses and doorphones, to use a permanent marking pen on each of the cores, before you photograph them, so you can reconnect them correctly afterwards.

I use a Stabilo write-4-all Fine, which even works on metal, glass or glossy plastic, but there are also pens sold for writing on DVDs.

Clean off dirt or grease first (with the electricity turned off at the CU. Lighting fittings are live even when the light switch is "off")

Incidentally, I was in a theatre lighting box recently, and found markings I'd put on a control switch twenty years before.

Assuming the old lamp and the ceiling rose are being removed then the brown and blue wire that go to that lamp are no longer needed and should be removed with the ceiling rose.

If you are keeping the ceiling rose in place then

View attachment 209634

Thanks also for your help! On the brown and blue wires which are not needed can I just put them into a extra terminal block and leave them redundant. Otherwise I am not sure how I would remove them?

Are you removing the ceiling rose ,and pendant ,and fitting in its place the new light fitting ? If so there will be no blue and brown wires going to your new fitting.

Hi thanks, your right no blue or brown wires as I am removing the ceiling rose. Just wanted to know on how to remove/isolate the brown and blue wires coming from the houses wiring

Do you know now ,or do you still need advice ? Before touching any of the wires at the ceiling rose you should turn off the mains electricity supply at your fuseboard or consumer unit.

how to remove/isolate the brown and blue wires coming from the houses wiring
The installation wiring is black and red. There are no blue or brown wires.

You may want to consider paying an electrician to install this light fitting, as it appears you are unable to understand the basic concept of what needs doing.

Thanks I’m good I have installed the light! Thanks for your guidance mate

Do you know now ,or do you still need advice ? Before touching any of the wires at the ceiling rose you should turn off the mains electricity supply at your fuseboard or consumer unit.

Thank Terryplumb!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back