Bedroom Wall light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi please can any1 help with the following::

I have Purchased a new bedroom wall light which would be what you would call a reading light. The electrician fitted a switch that if you can imagine is just above the headboard.In the wall there are 2 sets of wires 1 with earth , neutral and live(red) the other set is earth, neutral and live(brown) looking the wires I cant tell which one's he put in.

I connected the light up to the set of wires that had red as live and the lights were on but the switch isnt powerin the lights off and on??

Any help would be great , Thanks

Sponsored Links
So there are two sets of wires behind the light? Is one a supply cable and the other a switch cable? If so you need to identify which is the switch cable using a multimeter then sleeve the blue wire brown as it is a switched live. Connect the blue sleeved brown to L, blue to N, both browns together and to nothing else, and all earths together to the fitting.

Hi

Yes there are 2 sets of wires and what used to be a blue wire now has a brown sleeve over it. I connected this to live as it had a brown sleeve on.

Yup, connect this one to live on the lamp, the other blue to neutral, both browns together and nothing else, both earths together and to the fitting if required. You may need another piece of terminal block to join the two lives together.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I didnt have any joy , Im pretty sure Ive wired it up right but here goes.. :confused:

From the first set of wires I have connected the original blue (which now has brown over the end) to L on the lamp. Then connected the brown L(first set of wires) to the red L from the (second set of wires), then N from the 2nd set of wires to the N on the lamp & The 2 earths together . The lamp has a earth going to the bracket & nothing going into the earth from the wall.

Does that sound right ? Cheers , Ste

It sounds correct, has your electrician connected the cable to the supply? Firstly check the wires are connected in the switch. Can you check there is a supply with a multimeter? If in doubt, I would advise you to have your sparky come back and do it for you.

I believe so , the lights did power on when the I used the red L to the L on the lamp originally.

I will give him a ring

Thanks for your help

Ste

Are you sure that you haven't damaged the bulb? Try a new one just in case.

There a 4 lights on a fixed plate which hae no power so I dont think its the lights.

Cheers

Ste

Hi, Im still after some help if poss with the issue below,

1st set of wires I have a brown, a blue with brown tape over the end which I believe is now my live (is the brown now N) and earth. The 2nd cable I have L red , N blue and earth , am i to connect the 2 L's to the terminal on the lamp , the 2 N's to the N on the lamp and the 2 earths to E on the lamp..Confused

OK, I have both,Ive read the earlier post so think I have the right idea but I wont hold my breath :LOL:

Ive identified the switched live (blue with the brown sleeve) connected that to the L on the lamp , connected the 2 earths to E on the lamp, connected the N to neutral on the lamp and the remaining live and the brown to the 4th terminal on the lamp but still no joy :confused:

you dont have much luck do you :LOL:

any chance of another picture of 0424, one looking down on the choc block, i am curious about the 2nd black wire (oh and you posted 0425 twice)

OR

does it go like this

top (incoming)

blue (brown sleave) brown, black red

red........................black....black..red (this row being the outgoing)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back