Replacing Bog Stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got an old cast iron stack that is looking crappy and coming to end of life.

Want to replace this with plastic, question is what is the best way to connect this at the bottom.

There is decking, would I be best to remove the decking and join at ground level?

Sponsored Links
move new plastic soil pipe away from boiler terminal.
ps nice weeds in decking,have you sacked your gardener.

Sponsored Links
move new plastic soil pipe away from boiler terminal.
ps nice weeds in decking,have you sacked your gardener.

LOL,

Just bought the house, dont even own a lawn mower yet, lol.

When you say move it? How can this be done as the stack starts in that position?

You can fit a heat shield to protect the plastic stack at the boiler term position.

Check out the following post in the Plumbing section by mnb:
Replacing or cutting a cast iron soil stack: Feb 23 2006

I'd replace the lot, you dont know the condition of the bottom section and if its leaking where it joins the drain then that can cause problems. Chances are the boiler will need replacing long before the stack and any new flue will be smaller than the existing and thus further from the stack. (Also provides easy connection for condensate drain from any new boiler.) Cant really move it as you say due to position of the drain, and bends in wet section of the stack are frowned upon unless absolutely necessary.

To connect to existing drain, carefully expose the base where the CI joins the clayware. It may be necessary to scrap existing bend at the base and replace with a long radius plastic bend, either way you'll need a suitable connector from 110mm plastic to clayware. I'd expect to find salt glazed drain, so choice of connectors available. Wickes have one available 'off the shelf', or most of the plastics manufacturers do something suitable. There are also the 'Fernco' type, rubber collars with jubilee clips.

I'd replace the lot, you dont know the condition of the bottom section and if its leaking where it joins the drain then that can cause problems. Chances are the boiler will need replacing long before the stack and any new flue will be smaller than the existing and thus further from the stack. (Also provides easy connection for condensate drain from any new boiler.) Cant really move it as you say due to position of the drain, and bends in wet section of the stack are frowned upon unless absolutely necessary.

To connect to existing drain, carefully expose the base where the CI joins the clayware. It may be necessary to scrap existing bend at the base and replace with a long radius plastic bend, either way you'll need a suitable connector from 110mm plastic to clayware. I'd expect to find salt glazed drain, so choice of connectors available. Wickes have one available 'off the shelf', or most of the plastics manufacturers do something suitable. There are also the 'Fernco' type, rubber collars with jubilee clips.

Thank you very much. I will go for replacing the whole lot, I want to take the bathroom sink into the stack also, as the the mo it goes to the hopper next door.

I am having a new boiler fitted in the next week anyway, so the vent will be replaced then too.

I will lift the decking and see what I find in the week.

Cheers
Will

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back