Replacing Ceiling Rose with LED Bulkhead light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to replace a modern ceiling rose with a LED fitting and i have wired everything in correctly but there is something going on with my loop connections as the the other lights in the upstairs are not working. There are two other ceiling roses upstairs and these are not working. I can attach a picture of the aforementioned connections.

Sponsored Links
You probably wired up incorrectly. Post pics of the connections you have made at the new fitting .

please see block fitted with my earth neutrals and my brown live wires which is the loop. then my live switched is the blue with the brown sleeve in

Attachments

• 20191017_155741 (1).jpg
    20191017_155741 (1).jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 413
its to wire to this ikea light which has only a live and a neutral

Attachments

• 20191016_181156.jpg
    20191016_181156.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 328
Sponsored Links
Why is there 10 terminal blocks, there should only be need for 4

Although the wires were in seperate holes in the old rose they are on 3 copper bars, plus earth, thus linking relevant cores together

i guess i am trying to replicate what is in the celing rose but that is probably where i am going wrong i guess. I didnt want to overload the blocks as i have three loop/live wires, three earths, two neutrals, and a switched live. As soon as I wire the celing rose back up its all fine and dandy.

Put the 3 blue neutrals into ONE terminal block. The three brown line into ONE terminal block. The switched line (blue with brown sleeve) goes into another terminal block with the brown line of the fitting. And all earths go together in a fourth terminal block.

I'll now do this over weekend great advice man y thanks thought I was consigned to ceiling roses forever !!! And this will keep my loop going ?

It will if you fully understand what you need to do . just blindly following instructions of " put this wire there ,and put these here" doesn't necessarily teach you much ,even though it will resolve your issue ,if you know what I mean. You really need to understand what you have done wrong.

I do now I guess I was trying to replicate what the ceiling rose does but none of my contacts were touching . I now know that the explanation earlier by using one block how it works . My loop is the most important thing to understand so my other lights In the house work

Good ,you sussed it. What don't you understand about the loop. The three red conductors do this....
One brings voltage to the rose ,the second takes voltage to the next rose, the third is the feed to the switch.
The two neutrals ,again one comes in ,the other feeds the next rose.
So if the reds are not connected together ,for example ,the next rose and any after it will be disconnected. Likewise with neutrals ,you separate them and there is no neutral present at any rose after the disconnection.
Ya got it ????

In essence here I have broken the loop which is why my other lights did not work it is sinking in now I was looking at the ceiling rose too literary before without taking in how it actually connects .

few pics of the new light that is fitted speical thanks to those who pushed me over the line on here

Attachments

• 20191018_192555.jpg
    20191018_192555.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 351

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back