Replacing cold water tank in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I have a leak in the bottom of my loft water tank, I think it's a 50 gallon one but I'm not sure. The measurements are 45inches by 23inches wide,23inches deep
It's going to be really hard to get it out and to replace it as it seems to have been built into place I might get it out if I remove the heating header tank but I'm not sure.

I am thinking of using a smaller tank to make it easier to fit. There is only myself and my wife so I think that would be ok.
I am just a bit worried that we would lose a lot of hot water pressure I only have about 1 metre of head to the shower.
So I was wondering if it would make a lot of difference, what do you think?

I have rung 4 plumbers so far but in two days none have returned my call??
so it looks like I'll have to do it myself.
banghead.gif

I have done a fair bit of plumbing in the past so I'll be all right doing it. Its just I'm getting on a bit now and It would be nice not to.

Oh and I'm having trouble finding a replacement that will fit through my 500mm wide loft hatch!

thanks in advance for any advice

Mike

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have a look on screwfix, they do a 50 gallon coffin cistern/tank :) it's 1650x 475x 450 or thereabouts , surprised you can't find anyone to do it, maybe it's too hot to be working in lofts at the mo.

Filled to the brim that would be approx 85 gallons so half full about 40 gallons.

Folding tanks are available for getting through small loft hatches.

Purists will object but two small tanks can be connected in series to make the required volume.

A few will no doubt suggest changing to an un-vented hot water cylinder and doing away with the tanks in the loft.

Sponsored Links
What's wrong with different suggestions ? That's the whole point of the forum.
Nothing wrong with suggestions. it is when a "plumber" says "you have to have an un-vented cylinder" claiming that cold water storage tanks are no longer "in favour" or as one conman claomed no longer permitted when a domestic hot water system is updated.

One point of the forum is to advise caution when dealing with tradespeople of unknown "quality"

I just ordered one from screwfix now. Its 1190x610x500
500mm is the width of my loft hatch so I think it will go through this is the only one that would fit as far as I can see so in the end didn't have much choice.
Even the smaller 44gallon one was 503mm and I didn't want to chance it.

Thanks all

Unfortunately that one was too long, it wouldn't fit in the space available.
Cheers

What's it made of. And is it above a spine wall?

If it's a galvy cistern (it's not an effin' tank) then put some 3/4" ply on top and put the new cistern on top of it.

You gain some extra head and pressure on the shower and alls good in the world!!

I wish I had the height mate ;(

I got the new one today but am a bit puzzled, there are two 8mm holes pre-drilled about 35mm from top at both ends so 4 holes all together ?

If I were putting any fittings like ball valve or overflow at those positions the holes would be very awkward. The pictures of this tank don't show any holes either!
to be honest I don't like the idea that they are there ready to over flow into my loft.
I know the overflow should stop that but what the heck did they put them there for?

When you say "pre-drilled" do you mean that the holes have been cut after the cistern was produced?

If they look to have been cut then I'd be suspicious that somebody else may have drilled the cistern and possibly returned it to Screwfix.

I can't ever recall buying a new poly cistern with any holes in it!

False alarm! I went out to look at the tank/cistern again and felt inside and they do not go the whole way through they actually extend into the tank like a tube.

Sorry but have another question!
in the kit there are two large washers one rubber and one Plastic.
The only place these are mentioned in the instructions is on the outlet connection.
My problem is that the brass tank connector already has a rubber washer on it? so should I discard the other rubber washer?

thanks for your help

Mike

Yes - rubber one inside Plastic one outside under the backnut

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back