Replacing Dimmer Switch Coil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a four gang dimmer switch unit in my living room (ie it control 4 light circuits). One of the coils has stopped working. Rather than replace the entire unit (which costs anything in excess of £30) would it be possible to just replace the failed coil? Where could I source such a coil (B&Q and the local DIY shop don't sell them). The brand make is Hamilton.

Cheers,[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Coil or entire dimmer module ( being one of four dimmer modules )

If the coil is showing damage then other components will be damaged.

I guess it's the dimmer module that I want to replace rather than the bare wire coil. There is no luck from google, does anyone know where to source these from ?

Sponsored Links
buy a single dimmer of the same brand and swap the module accross?

If you tell us what the dimmer actually does when it doesn't work, then we might be able to help you fix it, I have a feeling you might be thinking the coil does more than it actually does* and if this dimmer has failed in the usual way (lamp stuck on full brightness) then its much more likely to be a failed triac.

Although if you are not too happy with taking soldering irons to things, then it'd probably be best to leave it

*Its actually just there, wired in series with the lamp to put a bit of inductance into the loop to slow down the rise time of the current to make the waveform a little less nasty

The light doesn't switch on. There is no current coming out of the module. I take it the module is broken. Is it possible to buy modules ot replace when they fail rather than having to buy the entire switch unit? I am not interested in openning the module and attempting to repair it.

Don't be daft - I'm asking if anyone knows where to source the individual modules which make up the unit.

Arent they all a standard size (dont they just fit through a hole and you tighten the nut on the front?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back