replacing electric to workshop.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new house and found the workshop attached to the side of the main building has a spur running from a socket in a bedroom, out through the wall.. along the side of the property (twin & earth white cable held on with metal cable fixings) into the workshop. which supplies the florescent lighting and mains wall sockets.
So, ive promptly disconnected the spur from the bedroom socket, leaving the workshop in the dark.
I need to reconnect it, but my questions are...

do i need to run a light AND mains supply into the workshop or can just use the single mains supply for the 2 florescent lights as well.

is this setup with an adjacent building, counted as `external` like a shed, is that because my cable would run `external` - if so, could i drill a big hole through the 19" solid stone wall and run the cable `internal` ?

if the cable were to go `external` - could i feed it from a fused spur in the main property, run it along the outside wall at knee height, in a protected PVC trunking and junction boxes ? - or does it need to be above head height and in what type of protection ?

hope someone can give me some pointers.

thanks,
Stuart.

Sponsored Links
It all depends on what you intend running in your workshop. is your main consumer unit up to the job? Is your main fuse(service fuse) up to the job?
You are much better contacting a local electrician who can advise you, as well as give you a quote for the job. If you are not aware already this job would be notifiable to the local building control dept of your council who will charge you a lot more than the electrician would have to pay them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back