replacing fascias,guttering and soffits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm in the process of getting the fascias, guttering etc. replaced but i'm a little concerned about the workmanship. The work started yesterday and the ripped off timber is stacked neatly in my garden. Alot of the fascias and soffits are rotten and from what i saw, and the rafter ends on the lower roof were also damaged/rotten. I now believe that the roofer is attaching the new facias to the damaged/rotten rafter ends. Now this doesn't seem right? or is it?

Also at the rear of the house (main roof this time) they have have installed the new upvc fascia upto the bay window and it resumes at the other end of the bay. effectively leaving the bay out, is this standard procedure?

I'm in a 3 bed semi in london and I had 2 quotes. This one was fractionaly more expensive but they are local and have good reps on checka. There will be no cladding on the fascias as they are upvc 16mm thick 1500mm in height. I have been quoted £2480.

Sponsored Links
Whatever "checka" is ignore their recommends, and avoid such associations in future.

When the old fascia/gutter is removed the roofing felt should be carefully examined for wear and tear - typically, such things as Floplast Eaves Protection pieces are inserted. Rotten woodwork almost guarantees perished felt.
But first all rotten rafter tails and top plates must be renewed, and chemically treated - this involves lifting the bottom courses of tile or slate.

Is the bay fascia wood or PVC? Usually, the bay would be included in the job, but flat bay roof edge drips can be problematic. ie removing the fascia can damage the drip. Pics needed?

All the above should have been noted, to some degree, on first visit to quote.

All the above work should be done from a scaff or towers.

Why not go up and pic the job details & post on here?
- approach the tradesperson in a calm communicative way and explain your doubts.

thanks for the reply ree, Job was done to a good standard (i think) but i had to fight tooth and nail. There is a member of their team who is completely unstrustworthy to say the least. I dont think I'm going to hire anyone local again.

Sponsored Links
Sorry "checka" was short for checkertrade, It's a list and review website for people searching for tradesman in their area. I've just found out that it's rigged so I will not be using that website as a guide again.

There was an article in a paper (cant remember which one) which in short stated that if you left a bad review, checkertarade would then contact the tradesman (which i totally agree with) and give them a very long time to respond (dont agree with that one).

After the responce if Checkertrade then decide to post that review from the customer it gets back dated to when the work occurred so it will not show in any recent reviews, so in effect burying it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back