Replacing fitting - notifiable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The house has been recently rewired by a spark (in the last couple of years) and was signed off, all ok.

I have just replaced the light in the bedroom from a ceiling rose to a chandelier.

I have left all of the wiring the same (I have had to make a bracket to hang the light on) and I have left the inside plastic part of the rose where it was (the disc shape part that screws to the ceiling)

I have then just connected the three wires from the new fitting and it works all ok.

My question is this - as the new fitting (the part that goes around the outside of the disc shaped part of the rose) is metal and not plastic as it was - is it notifiable to building control?

I dont want to do anything that could invalidate insurance.

Sponsored Links
Replacing light fittings is not notifiable work.
Follow the instruction that are given/included with the fitting and you should be okay.
If the fitting has metal parts they should either be connected to earth via the cpc/earth cable or be double insulated fittings.
If the fitting needs earthing or is double insulated the instruction should inform you of that and there should be a symbol on the fitting showing a square within a square to denote double insulated.

Is this ok?

On the light fitting - three wires , live, neut, earth

On the rose - three wires, live, neut, earth (this part of the rose is a seperate brass screw, much bigger than the others)

Connected the live and neut into outside terminals of the block connector and connected the earth from the fitting into the terminal of the rose which took the earth from the lighting cable?

Do you have picture you can upload.
Are the cables from the ceiling void still terminated in the ceiling rose and are you connecting between these to the new fitting or have you just left the rose in place and connecting the cables from ceiling, to the new fitting directly, does not matter either way, just trying to get a picture of what you have and are doing.
Brown cable- to brown flex (phase/live)
Blue cable- to blue flex (neutral)
Green/Yellow to Green/Yellow (earth)

The larger brass terminal on the rose could be the earth terminal does it have a symbol like this near it.
or an E

Sponsored Links
Do you have picture you can upload.
Are the cables from the ceiling void still terminated in the ceiling rose and are you connecting between these to the new fitting or have you just left the rose in place and connecting the cables from ceiling, to the new fitting directly, does not matter either way, just trying to get a picture of what you have and are doing.
Brown cable- to brown flex (phase/live)
Blue cable- to blue flex (neutral)
Green/Yellow to Green/Yellow (earth)

The larger brass terminal on the rose could be the earth terminal does it have a symbol like this near it.
or an E

I have left the "terminal" part of the ceiling rose intact and this is where the cables from the void terminate.
There are 2 x brown wires terminating in the rose, along with 2 blue an d an earth on the screw marked as your picture. There is also a switch wire that has been marked with black heatshrink. I then attached the wires from the light into the remaining outlets on the rose so now its

3 browns wires next to each other in 3 seperate screw terminals
3 blues next to each other in 3 seperate screw terminals
An earth which goes from the fitting to the rose (same earth screw the rose uses)
And a switched brown wire in its own screw terminal

Something like this

If so connect the Live/phase of the new fitting to "Live(right on diagram)" Side not the "Loop"
The neutral of new fitting to Neutral side(left on diagram).
And earths all together in earth terminal.

What colour is the switch wire, the mark up should be brown not black!

Sorry my mistake, the wire is blue for the switch (I think from memory) with a mark up on the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back