Replacing Halogen GU10 Bulbs with LEDs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Folks ,
I have 5 halogen downlighters in my bathroom , on a dimmer switch . I`m not keen on them , as they get very hot , and every time I replace one , I end repairing the cracked plaster they make .
I`m wondering if I could replace them with LEDs , as a lot of bulbs now claim to be a direct replacement .
Can anyone reccommend a reasonably priced LED alternative ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can swap to LEDS, you will have to look at the dimmer rating, as this may become incompatible.
Why are you damaging ceiling to replace lamps (aka bulbs) ?

Why are you damaging ceiling to replace lamps (aka bulbs) ?

Theyre quite hard work to get the outer cover off , and the heat has caused the plaster to become quite brittle , so it tends to chip off
Also , it didnt help that the lad who fitted them used a hand saw rather than a drill to make the holes , so theyre not as good a fit as they could be .

Sponsored Links
If they have not been allowed enough air space behind the fittings, then a build up of heat causes the fittings to warp, which makes it difficult to remove the lamp retaining ring. It also cooks the plaster and gypsum which looses all it's strength.

Changing to LEDs should help, but check with the manufacturers instructions that the new LEDs have sufficient air space behind the fittings or they will over heat, and start to fail quite quickly.

The heatsinks on the outside of the LED lamp envelope will burn your skin off despite the bumpf saying they create virtually no heat !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back