Replacing lead main - do you have to pay the water company?

How does a water meter lower the value of the property?

This I have to hear ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I know a couple of estate agents who say it does, presumably because it means you don't have a choice of having a meter or not having one and large families and the like would lose money by having a meter or those sorts who fit auto sprinklers to their gardens.

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes: I am talking about replacing the supply pipe on your own property. If it was leaking, and you were in the Thames Water area, they would contribute £215 to the cost of replacement. They do this because they don't like losing water through leaks.

:rolleyes: I am talking about replacing the supply pipe on your own property. If it was leaking, and you were in the Thames Water area, they would contribute £215 to the cost of replacement. They do this because they don't like losing water through leaks.

Oh right, sorry for being so dim. I'd have to dig it up to find out though wouldn't I, it was my plan to leave the lead alone and have the water enter the building in a different location so the lead pipes would be just empty cavities connected to nothing, hammered shut.

Someone said I could use something called a "cat and genny" (a pipework detector) and if I walk in the correct pattern detect where the pipes are without using the genny and just using the cat. It costs 50 quid to hire, maybe it's worth doing that.

I did give them a ring about subsidy for replacing leaks, saying I know it's a bit cheeky since I'm fitting a whole new supply, if there are leaks I will be fixing them so am I entitled to a subsidy for doing it?

They didn't directly answer the question but said they would need to check the water meter readings to see if there has been a reduction in water usage - the obvious interpretation is yes there is a subsidy but without a water meter you won't get one.

Sponsored Links
as long as the lead pipe is still there, they will carry out a lead test and unless very low, will have to replace their bit, and may give a subsidy to help you replace your bit. It will anyway be far easier to connect your bit to their new pipe, and you might be able to persuade the fitters to do it if your trench and new pipe are ready when they come.

Also, see if they have a program or subsidy to replace leaking supply pipes.
Maybe yours has a leak in it.

I recently had to replace a leaking lead pipe, but they did not test the water for lead until after I had finished, due to long appointmenting process. They would have charged me £500 to connect my new pipe to their meter, so I just joined it onto the stub coming through the boundary. Luckily their meter had a stop cock on it under the pavement.

p.s. there was a report on this in "Which" recently. The different water companies vary a lot. Thames Water is one of the worst.

My water company wanted £1200 to replace their lead, this is because they saw it as an opportunity to charge me for a second supply. We have one supply to house and we sub meter it to flat. That is how it has been time imamorial, they still get water rates for the flat seperate. To do any work at all on their side they say they have to put in a whole new supply for the flat which I have to pay for.

So I just changed my side and await a future initiative forcing water companies to replace their lead. It's only a question of time.

Hi Guys,

Ive got a similar problem. I bought a house which is converted into 2 flats.

The 1st floor has a conventional boiler and hot water heater and the ground floor flat has a combi.

I want to put a combi in upstairs but the mains is shared between both flats meaning the pressure wont be great.

Id like separate mains access for each flat but Thames Water quoted me a non-refundable £235 assessment fee and suggested i could end up paying £1700 to them for replacing their lead supply pipe and splitting the mains.

This seems crazy especially when they are going through the process of removing their lead. Does anyone have any advice on how i can go about avoiding this ridiculous fee?

the only reason I haven't got a meter is because it lowers the property value.
New one on me. Having recently moved house it's not something that's come up in any conversation on either the buying/selling aspect. Most buyers couldn't care less.

Indeed, those that might care are those like yourself (and me) that are low water users and don't wish to pay over the odds despite being conservative with our water usage. I'd sooner have a meter fitted and if it's already there all the better!

Besides which, if there is a net overall loss in value I dare say it would be by less than the savings you're missing out on by not being on a meter!

Mathew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back