Replacing led light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the black cover and plastic case required for installation.

IMG20231129195553.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes. The sleeving protects the supply cable conductors where they connect with “the white plastic case” (connector block), the idea being to shoe horn it all into the lamp holder. Not always practical. The fitting needs earthing too.

Blup

Can you post a pic of the old ceiling rose wiring.

Blup

Yes. The sleeving protects the supply cable conductors where they connect with “the white plastic case” (connector block), the idea being to shoe horn it all into the lamp holder. Not always practical. The fitting needs earthing too.

Blup
Based on the picture it appears to be designed as a double insulated fitting. I would question that looking at the clearly non double insulated L&N wires attached to the transformer. Did the light come from a reputable source?

Sponsored Links
The fitting needs earthing too.
Look again it is SELV and a class II transformer so no earth required, says 24 volt DC. The sleeves etc, are to ensure low voltage can't touch anything, to me it is a pain as earth still need running to the fitting, so your left finding some thing to terminate the earth into. I have fitted items like that in houses wired before 1966.

Look again it is SELV and a class II transformer so no earth required, says 24 volt DC. The sleeves etc, are to ensure low voltage can't touch anything, to me it is a pain as earth still need running to the fitting, so your left finding some thing to terminate the earth into. I have fitted items like that in houses wired before 1966.
Agreed

Blup

The light is SELV from the transformer but what about the two single insulated wires supplying the transformer with 240v? If one of those is damaged the metal casing of the light could become live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back