Replacing Lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if you chaps can give me a little advice.

My front door has a cylinder rim lock on it. The cylinder bit is made by HD and the rim lock bit on the inside is made by chubb. It is obviously a mix and match affair and the key we have for the HD cylinder does not fit in the Chubb rim lock and the whole thing it a bit loose and tatty.

I am going to replace it but would obvious like to use the same hole for the lock cylinder - Is the spacing of this hole from the edge of the door universal? OR will I have to hunt around for the right lock to match up with the old hole?

Cheers

Sam

Sponsored Links
Measure the distance from the edge of the door to the centre of the cylinder hole, should be either 40mm or 60mm which is known as a backset.

If it's 60mm, Screwfix are doing a good deal on the XBS1 lock, here. You can get a 40mm backset but Screwfix don't sell them :cry:

In my local area they are selling them from £95 - £120 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Masona,

Blimey, expensive aren't they - perhaps I will be tarting up the existing one.

I was also considering adding a 5 lever mortice lock for extra secuirty when we are out - would this be generally recommended?

Yesyesyesyesyesyes.

If you have a proper lock you don't have to get such a good rimlock.
The one with an internal cylinder is so they can't easily be opened from the inside, e.g. if a burglar ***** ***** ***** through the letterbox or breaks a pane of glass in the door; or if he pushes his child in through a small broken window at the back of the house and wants the door open to cart off your belongings with ease.

The average cylinder rim nightlatch is pretty ineffective in various ways but is sufficient to stop the door blowing open in a strong wind. It is totally inadequate for protecting your home from intruders.

Sponsored Links
sam8364 said:
I was also considering adding a 5 lever mortice lock for extra secuirty when we are out - would this be generally recommended?
Your household insurance is not insured if there's no 5 lever lock and must be certified to BS3621 etc. There's a loads of properties with no mortice lock therefore the insurance company will not pay out!

Last year Cilla Black lost her claim because they were no window locks!

Check your insurance policy for the minimum requirement

Really, bloody hell!! So I do not have any house insurance.

So let me get this straight - If I put in a 5/7 lever dead lock then any old rim lock will do.

However, the deadlock would not be locked when we are at home or asleep as if would hinder getting out the house in a fire - so does the bit about insurance and locks only apply to empty houses?? - i.e. is a rim latch enough when you are at home?

sam8364 said:
Really, b****y hell!! So I do not have any house insurance.
Up to the point you are insured but probably lose a percentage of a claim or may have to pay a larger excess depending on your insurance company.

So let me get this straight - If I put in a 5/7 lever dead lock then any old rim lock will do.
Have a look at your insurance details, it should be all there.

Also I have mentioned this last year, have a read here.

If you have upvc door then it's best to change it to a solid wooden door, the insurance companies are not keen on upvc doors

You can also get BS rated nightlatches - Chubb 4L67E, Yale XBS range, ERA 1830/1930 range (the ERA is a good budget buy). I would always recommend backing-up any nightlatch with a good BS rated deadlock - and always use it.

Echo the above advice - always check with your insurer as to what they would insist on for doors and window security.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back