Replacing Monobloc Kitchen Tap

16 Apr 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Last week I had to replace a set of kitchen monobloc taps with the 2 15mm down pipes and the 11mm locking nut.
no matter what tool I tried, there was no space to rotate the nut to bolt the tap to the sink.
eventually, I resorted to removing the waste, and lifting out the sink completely, enabling me to tighten up the nut and get the job done (pain in the arse).
Is there some kind of special tool for this i.e. a very long ratchet on a long stick, or another method to do this?
if not, I am spending the next 3 months inventing one! I have seen some of the **** they take onto Dragons Den!! :LOL:
Sponsored Links
I use my 3/8 drive ratchet wrench, with a 300mm extension, and a deep drive socket on the problems, really!
Never had any trouble using a long box spanner myself.
Once or twice I've wedged a srewdriver in the end for a bit more reach.
couldnt find a socket deep enough. the threaded bolt was far too long, and I didnt want to saw it off as most of these nuts they provide are cheap and nasty and would probably cause it to damage the thread!
Sponsored Links
PLumbers merchants sell long box spanners for the purpose. You can often join them up or use a socket from a socket set on the bottom end.

The most awkward are on deep butler /belfast sinks. At times I've had to use a crowfoot spanner. I don't DO much wet plumbing any more but people know I have a lot of spanners...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local