Replacing MR16 Halogens with equivalent LED's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK knowledgeable folks, I realise there are other posts on almost this topic but none seem to answer the question directly. I have bought some fire rated Mr16 recessed halogen downlights but have since discovered that the ceiling void they are to be installed into is not deep enough for what I presume is heat venting. I was considering just changing the halogen bulbs over to equivalent LED ones (i.e Much less heat buildup). Each lamp has its own transformer attached so can I theoretically swap them straight over ?? Assuming that the LED's are 12V ones
Very much look forward to your comments.

Cheers

Raveboy

Sponsored Links
What happens when someone else comes along, and seeing fittings rated for 50 Watt halogen lamps, replaces your LEDs with halogen lamps?

Ahh yes I see your point - Tricky situation. Doe's anyone have any suggestions for how to get around this lack of ceiling depth problem for halogen spot mounting ?? My major concern is the heat build-up underneath the first floor floorboards which is why I thought of the LED route

Sponsored Links
Hi Sparkwright, The void is about 125mm and the instructions say that the minimum should be 135mm. The actual units that I have are only about 110mm high but I guess they are allowing for breathing space above the lamp? No holes have been cut yet

Cheers

it is usual to leave a minimum void of 100 mm for downlighters, at least it used to be.
you could possibly get away with fitting the lights, but of course it is quite right to obey the manufacturers instructions, especially with the risk of fire in mind.
have you considered a different make/design of downlighter which may not require such a deep void?

No holes have been cut yet
Then the solution is simple - don't cut holes, and install lighting which actually works.

Did you not read my reply to your 1 millionth tedious remark to another recent question about installing downlighters? I assume it didnt go in so I will repeat - some people like downlighters. The next time someone asks a question about downlighters do us all a favour and go to the pub instead, you total total bore.

Did you not read my reply to your 1 millionth tedious remark to another recent question about installing downlighters?
Yup.

I assume it didnt go in so I will repeat
No point you repeating it - I'm not going to take any more notice this time of you thinking you can tell me what I may or may not say here than I did last time.

Which was:

absolutely no notice at all.

- some people like downlighters.
The world is full of people who like inappropriate things.

So, BAS. Who appointed you chief arbiter of what is and isn't appropriate?

Some people like downlighters and the lighting effect they produce - what gives you the right to declare them wrong? While you do give some sound advice (for an armchair electrician), you also come across as a pompous and pedantic bore.

Try practicing some of the tolerance you preach on other subjects.

To the OP, have a look on the TLC site - they have downlighters that will fit a void as small as 100mm.

So, BAS. Who appointed you chief arbiter of what is and isn't appropriate?
Me.

I have the right to make what I consider to be appropriate suggestions, and I shall exercise that right.

Some people like downlighters and the lighting effect they produce - what gives you the right to declare them wrong?
If we all adopted your fatuous approach then nothing anybody ever asked about or described here would ever be declared wrong.

What give me the right is people coming here and asking me questions.

While you do give some sound advice (for an armchair electrician), you also come across as a pompous and pedantic bore.
Why don't you just phone RichThompson so you can whinge at each other?

Thanks Tonka - I'll check out TLC. I've also since discovered that if I put aluminium reflector bulbs in they direct the heat outwards as opposed to back into the light so I may be able to get away with a smaller void (Especially as the void is ventilated anyway. Cheers for all you comments people

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back