Replacing old bell box, confused by existing cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Eurosec CP8L alarm box with LCD keypad and wish to replace the very old large rusted alarm box with a big blue round strobe on the underside with a newer model with constantly blinking LEDs.

I'm a bit confused by the wiring for the existing bell though, it has white and blue for strobe+ and strobe- then 2 red wires into bell+ and 2 black wires into bell- .

I did not realise you could get cable like this, I was hoping each strand would have a unique color...

Will I just have to figure out which red/black wire is which at each end or perhaps I can just use 4 wires only and put a link on the bell box tamper?

Thanks!

edit: Images are in my album: //www.diynot.com/network/starfire/albums/

Sponsored Links
The manual for the panel gives lots of wiring diagrams.

http://rikain.com/Manuals/Intruder_alarms/GardTec/CP8L_LCD_ENGINEER_EN.pdf

You just need to make sure the new bell is wired up to the panel correctly.
so theres 6 wires.

white (currently strobe +?)
blue (currently strobe -?)
2 x red
2 x black

basically power to the strobe and power to the bell is what you have now.
When the alarm is triggered power is applied to the bell and power is applied to the strobe.

You can either put in a new cable so its easier to know whats what.
or wire up with what you have

example to odyssey bell box

(S) strobe - trigger Strobe -
(B) bell - trigger Bell -
(A) 12V red Bell +
(D) OV black Bell hold -

use the white wire for bell- , blue for strobe - and swap in the panel end so the bell - and strobe negative match whats wired at the bell.

link the tamper in the panel to zero volts. bell tamper not reported.

Otherwise you will need to split one of the pairs of red or black cables up and use one for the tamper return.

The manual gives lots of combinations for different bells, so you should be okay to follow that.

Great, thanks for your help.

I have a Texecom Premier Odyssey bellbox, so I guess I wire as follows:

[code:1]
CP8L Texecom Bell

Bell Hold - D (0V)
Bell - (trigger) B (Bell)
Bell + A (12V)
Strobe - S (STRB)
[/code:1]

And in the CP8L a link between SAB TMP and Bell Hold - to disable the bell tamper.

One question, I guess the Texecom will not care if C (TAMP) is not connected, this won't affect the operation of it's alternating comfort LEDs will it as they are also used to indicate an open tamper circuit ?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I presume you've got two sounders. Maybe an internal sound bomb as well as the outside box, hence the doubled up red and black.

Yes it was an internal sounder on the other red and black connections.

Swapped with the new bell box no problem, thanks all.

Just a quick question.

After installation the only thing I didn't test was removing the external bell cover tripping the microswitch to see if it activated the bell, I presumed it would.

But, would the bell activate like this on its own OR would it need to be told to by the control panel receiving a bell tamper condition (which it can't as I didn't connect it) and thereby applying the bell trigger signal?

Thanks.

Scratch the above, I guess it will always self activate if cover removed unless the special override is used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back