Replacing old boiler with like-for-like new one - possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
25 years-old Glow Worm 24cl needs replacing, but no-one will take on the job, because of difficult/impossible access to the outdoor vent pipe.
Since the boiler's original installation in the first floor flat's kitchen, a conservatory roof has been erected below, in such a position that no ladder can be positioned for the work.
I have had the heat exchanger flushed, an expansion tank fitted and the filling loop replaced, but still the hot water runs - literally - hot and cold, a very unpleasant showering experience.
It occured to me that if the 24cl is still in production, or it is possible to buy a completely reconditioned unit, it might be possible to unplug/disconnect the old one and slot into the same mounting position, a complete as-new replacement, using the same vent-to-exterior and overflow drip pipes as before.
I am aware that there will have been numerous regulations over the decades, but I am hopeful that some solution on these lines might be do-able - or if not, any suggestions from a thoughtful professional would be gratefully received.

Attachments

• boiler-external-viewfrombedroom.jpg
    boiler-external-viewfrombedroom.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
It can be done from the inside by someone who knows what they are doing. It isn't too difficult.

Will need complete replacement, I think it highly unlikely you would get anything like that now. Wort case scenario, a scaffold may be needed to access the external position, but should access be needed, I would expect removal of the conservatory roof could be undertaken, with replacement after work has been completed.

What you are calling a vent is the flue or chimney to be precise, it can be installed from the inside, do you think we all have massive ladders when fitting a boiler in a top flat ? you will have to consider the condensate disposall however but that can be covercome using a pump if needed, your boiler is a standard efficiency and can no longer be installed so no chance of doing what you suggest
I have had the heat exchanger flushed, an expansion tank fitted and the filling loop replaced, but still the hot water runs - literally - hot and cold, a very unpleasant showering experience.
Doesnt mean that it is the boiler, and if it is it can be repaired

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
That boiler is long out of production, but replacing it along with the flue shouldn't be difficult. There are a couple of different techniques for replacing flues like yours without needing to go up a ladder

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
There could be the possibility of a vertical flue too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back