Replacing old style downlights in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These are not low voltage - just on a mains circuit. (FItted by previous owner who I call mr bodge-it for good reason)
All in zone 1 and I am pretty sure not IP rated - so I know are dodgy. I have screw in LEDs in them but think it is about time to replace them with something safer.
I thought I would have to fit a transformer/make them low voltage but reading around I think if I get some that are IP67 rated I don't need the transformer(s)?
Wiring is 'old' but I have a new(ish) MCB with RCD protection
So am I right?
Years ago I fitted them all with click connectors (after a nightmare replacing a broken fitting - I have access from the loft but even though the light fittings are in plasterboard boxes it would involve messing with rockwool insulation to get to them) so I should be able to replace them from inside the bathroom. I am planning on replacing them as the bulbs blow...if that sounds like an ok thing to do (not bothered about short term not matching and I would buy enough to do them eventually)
I haven't measured up yet but I think I will also need bezels or similar to cover up the fact they are likely to be larger holes than modern downlighters - where can I get those from? Ceiling is tongue & groove wood not plasterboard so not easy to patch (Not sure if relevant but size wise some of them took R63 bulbs and 2 of them R50 bulbs)
Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It is actually around 2.25m from the floor surface (as I said the ceiling is wood -pine cladding circa 1980 kind of like shiplap - painted now. Its not smooth and it varies between about 2.2 and 2.25m)

Ok. If it was more than 2.25 (from floor), it would not be zone 1.

In zone 1, the lights must be IPX4 ; the X means that that number doesn't matter. 240V is allowed.

Sponsored Links
Ok - so I am ok to use ones above the IPX4 (eg IPX7)? Is that also true about ones above the sink - they are about a meter above it as the ceiling drops down there - kind of inset - the the ceiling slopes on one side but the rest of the lights are in the main ceiling (2.25m ish)
Also do you know where I could get bezels from - or perhaps they are called something else?
Thanks

Ok - I think I was being stupid? I have seem bezels at screwfix etc but they are for specific downlights that come without bezels.
Are they type of downlights I should be looking at?

Ok - so I am ok to use ones above the IPX4 (eg IPX7)?
Oh yes. IPX4 minimum.

Is that also true about ones above the sink - they are about a meter above it as the ceiling drops down there - kind of inset - the the ceiling slopes on one side but the rest of the lights are in the main ceiling (2.25m ish)
Basins don't count - as long as the light is more than 600mm. from the edge of the bath/shower.
Anything stated as suitable for bathrooms.

Also do you know where I could get bezels from - or perhaps they are called something else?
Thanks
Bezel is right. Someone will know.

@EFLImpudence has given spot on information, however in real terms is anyone likely to play with the lights while having a bath? I would not play with lights while naked standing in the bath, some times one needs to use common sense. Unless property is rented and it needs to pass an EICR.

@EFLImpudence has given spot on information, however in real terms is anyone likely to play with the lights while having a bath? I would not play with lights while naked standing in the bath, some times one needs to use common sense. Unless property is rented and it needs to pass an EICR.

Errm a Young me in the 70's was fascinated that if you splashed a Light Bulb with bath water, it dripped back warmer.
BANG! Darkness, Muuuuuuummmmmmm!!!!!!

Have fitted some of these recently to replace some larger Halogens. I have some R50 fittings in a Bathroom. Not sure of the cutout so check the dimensions.

I prefer to be able to replace Bulbs.

These are not low voltage - just on a mains circuit.
Mains is low voltage.

(FItted by previous owner who I call mr bodge-it for good reason)
All in zone 1 and I am pretty sure not IP rated - so I know are dodgy. I have screw in LEDs in them but think it is about time to replace them with something safer.

What is safer than screw in lamps?
I thought I would have to fit a transformer/make them extra low voltage but reading around I think if I get some that are IP67 rated I don't need the transformer(s)?
No point with LEDs, more to go wrong.

Wiring is 'old' but I have a new(ish) MCB with RCD protection
How old? Is it rubber?

I kind of agree - why I didn't do anything with them before (especially because I thought I had to fit a transformer to them). I was trying to keep my post simple. I do have a problem with bulbs not lasting very long in a couple of fittings outside the shower - the shower door doesn't go to the ceiling and if the shower is running you can see the steam 'hits' those fittings on its way to the fan so I thought that higher IP rated might make those bulbs last longer. There is a gap around the bulb and the fitting - also worried about the steam getting into the boxes in the attic. And if I am going to replace the fittings I might as well make them 'legal'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back