Replacing plastic guttering on old timber fascia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fascia is 40+ year old timber. If it proves to be sound (ie fascia doesn't need replacing) I would still need to replace the guttering. Is this possible on 40+ year old timber though?

If it is, what would I need to watch out for? Mainly of course I'm curious about what I need to do to avoid causing water ingress into the fascia. I'd ideally change from current brackets (system is all plastic) to rise and fall.

Sponsored Links
If you're going to replace anything then you should replace everything as far as the guttering is concerned.

As for timbers, usually the fascia rots between the tiles and back of gutter where it never gets treated/painted.

Also the felt that originally bridged the gap between tile and gutter will be shot.

Usually as in 'if it has rotted anywhere this is where' or usually as in 'most fascias will have rotted here'?

Yes. Would need eaves trays fitting, right?

I would half expect the timber fascias to have some level of decay, based on experience of houses built in the 70's

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back