Replacing pull light cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the house we’ve just bought, the bathroom is a flat roof extension. The light is a horrible cord type. Is it possible to somehow replace this with a wall switch even though the wiring isn’t easily accessible?

Would it require the ceiling and/or tiled wall to be removed?

Thanks.

IMG_3867.jpeg

Sponsored Links
you will need to get the wire down to the position you want it on the wall - perhaps you could have in plastic conduit/covering , which will look ugly - otherwise it will probably need tiles/removed
the distance allowed in bathrooms come under zones - so best to look that up - used to be a nice diagram on here - sure other members will find it, i thought it was from

does the pull cord also start a FAN ?

Having has shocks from light switches , even when outside the bathroom as a child (was a faulty switch , and i had wet hands ) , i have made sure we have pull switches for everything inside the en-suite and bathroom - just a personal preference to a switch , i like the pull cord... just for that reason and past experience.

may be able to get some remote control bulbs , but i dont like controlling light with some form of app .....

Sponsored Links
I replaced my pull cord in a shower room with ceiling sensor switch , turned on light and fan for a few minutes and stayed on longer if occupied .

Yes, I swapped ours for Contactum 2781 pull cords and they are much better.

Before, the lads would turn the bathroom light on in the night and the damn thing would wake me up!

Hi,

In the house we’ve just bought, the bathroom is a flat roof extension. The light is a horrible cord type. Is it possible to somehow replace this with a wall switch even though the wiring isn’t easily accessible?

Would it require the ceiling and/or tiled wall to be removed?
As Random Grinch wrote
If there is a void in the ceiling above the lamp, you could insert a Quinetic receiver, with minimal wiring alteration.
The wireless switch could then be mounted in a convenient location.

Two problems maybe,
if
you install a Quinetic "Wireless Receiver" (https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUR303.html ) in the ceiling
you will need to place in a "Box" (in the "Void") - with a cover
AND
have a neutral available, as well as the Line and Switched Line.

However, if you place a "Quinetic" wired Wall Switch (https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QURS1W.html ) on the ceiling
- in place of the "Pull Switch" -
you may be able to recess this in the ceiling (using a "Pattress Box")
BUT - if not -
you could place it on a Single Gang Surface Mounted wall box (in place of the "Pull Switch" and to cover the area concerned.)

In either case - then,
use a "Wireless Switch" (https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUWS1W.html) on the wall (wherever you want it)
either placed in a recessed "Pattress Box" (which may involve cutting tiles etc.)
OR
just "Stuck" on the wall - with double sided tape.
(
)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back