Replacing Switch with Power Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our flat has several electric heaters on the wall and we removed one a while ago.

I want to replace the switch with an electric socket - can I do this? It will be on the same circuit as the other heaters?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are the heaters fed from an off peak supply?

Can you isolate the circuit feeding the heaters from the same distribution board as your power and lighting circuits?

Hi
All the heaters are on the same fuse on our consumer unit if that helps?
Apart from that not sure what you mean sorry?

What type and size of fuse?

Can you determine the size of the cable used for this circuit?

How many heaters are on this circuit and what is the power consumption of each heater?

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for replying

There are 3 x 750W heater and 1 x 1500w heater on the circuit. This switch used to have a 750w heater attached to it.

The cable looks like standard electic cable with 2 x live, earth & neutral coming in.

The fuse in the switch is 13A

Thanks!

All the heaters are on the same circuit. The other power sockets in the flat are on a seperate circuit.

The fuse rating in the consumer unit is a B32

Are there two wires in the mcb?

If there are and as you have already said there are two wires at the switch (where you want to put the socket) it would appear to be a Ring Final Circuit in which case it would be alright to replace the switch with a socket.

However, I would advise you to find out for certain by having an electrician test it because if it is not a RingFC it may have been installed incorrectly and be dangerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back